Fertility in yearling peacocks?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by bemba, Oct 1, 2014.

1. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    I'm just curious if anyone has had fertile eggs from a yearling peacock before? My young pied male grew up with guineas and for the last 2 weeks he has been mating successfully with one of the Lavender pied Guinea hens. Pic of him below.
    [​IMG]

2. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I think that a peacock has to have an eye feather to be fertile. Not sure if that is true and where I heard that, but I think if they don't have eye feathers than they won't be fertile. Not sure though.

Is he the only peacock or can he see other peacocks? Sometimes I think young peacocks mature faster if they are the only peacock.

I think some people have had their peacocks be fertile as yearlings, but also I think those peacocks looked very mature for their age.

3. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Yes I've heard that about the eye feathers.... I do have other adult boys around. Will just have to wait and see, would love some hybrids.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Don't you already have some guinea hybrids Bemba?
    My males hump stuffed animals then each other rather successfully LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. bemba

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Wow Ummm just wow [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    The peahen is probably rolling her eyes...

7. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Yeah, x2. Wow.

Did somebody happen to leave a stuffed toy around, or did you give it to the Peas as a boredom buster?

8. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Last year I had 3 young males do this. Chirpie jumped on top of Opie and a few seconds later Mojo jumped on top of Chirpie while he was still on Opie. Even if I'd had a camera I was too dumbfounded to have thought of taking a picture. It was quite a balancing act. I have since sold Mojo, so now it's just Chirpie and Opie...... so they can have all the fun they want.

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    well it was in the brooder and because it was so dirty i gave it to the dogs and the peas decided they wanted to play leap frog with it, i never can get a photo of the 3rd one on top cause as soon as i raise my camera they would fall off [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by