Fertility in yearling peacocks?

bemba

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Mary Valley QLD.
I'm just curious if anyone has had fertile eggs from a yearling peacock before? My young pied male grew up with guineas and for the last 2 weeks he has been mating successfully with one of the Lavender pied Guinea hens. Pic of him below.

I think that a peacock has to have an eye feather to be fertile. Not sure if that is true and where I heard that, but I think if they don't have eye feathers than they won't be fertile. Not sure though.

Is he the only peacock or can he see other peacocks? Sometimes I think young peacocks mature faster if they are the only peacock.

I think some people have had their peacocks be fertile as yearlings, but also I think those peacocks looked very mature for their age.

Yes I've heard that about the eye feathers.... I do have other adult boys around. Will just have to wait and see, would love some hybrids.

Wow Ummm just wow
hide.gif
lau.gif

Yeah, x2. Wow.

Did somebody happen to leave a stuffed toy around, or did you give it to the Peas as a boredom buster?

Last year I had 3 young males do this. Chirpie jumped on top of Opie and a few seconds later Mojo jumped on top of Chirpie while he was still on Opie. Even if I'd had a camera I was too dumbfounded to have thought of taking a picture. It was quite a balancing act. I have since sold Mojo, so now it's just Chirpie and Opie...... so they can have all the fun they want.

Yeah, x2. Wow.

Did somebody happen to leave a stuffed toy around, or did you give it to the Peas as a boredom buster?
well it was in the brooder and because it was so dirty i gave it to the dogs and the peas decided they wanted to play leap frog with it, i never can get a photo of the 3rd one on top cause as soon as i raise my camera they would fall off
hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom