Fertility issue

chipens

Songster
6 Years
Sep 4, 2017
new zealand
Ok, I have a group of orpingtons, a black roo (carries lav gene) with 6 lavender hens (2 are 1 year old and rest 3 or 4 years). Rooster produced many babies last year and had very high fertility with a group of maybe 8 hens black and lavender but this year I want more lavender so pulled the black hens out. They're all healthy birds get a good quality layer pellet with some maize and green scraps. It is early spring here.
I'm only getting if I'm lucky 2 out of 12 eggs fertile. . .
I have given them Brazilians, taken his favorite hen out, more greens, b12 supplement and still no improvement.
I've got a pen of barred rocks I'm getting nearly 100% fertility atm.
Any ideas what is going on??? Ideas to try??
The favorite hen had very worn back, the other hens not so much if any.

With orpingtons, sometimes it may be necessary to trim fluff around the vent so the boy can make good cloacal contact.
More likely, there is something else going on.
I don't know what Brazilians are but I would lose the supplemental corn. It is low in essential amino acids, The layer feed is likely about 16% protein and at a level adequate for eating eggs but very borderline for hatching eggs. Adding corn and greens will dimish the amino acids in the feed.
I would try supplementing a bit of animal protein for a while like fish, eggs, meat, etc..

With orpingtons, sometimes it may be necessary to trim fluff around the vent so the boy can make good cloacal contact.
More likely, there is something else going on.
I don't know what Brazilians are but I would lose the supplemental corn. It is low in essential amino acids, The layer feed is likely about 16% protein and at a level adequate for eating eggs but very borderline for hatching eggs. Adding corn and greens will dimish the amino acids in the feed.
I would try supplementing a bit of animal protein for a while like fish, eggs, meat, etc..
Brazilian is a butt trim :lol: I've done all the hens and the rooster
The pellets are 18% protien, oh they also get sprouted wheat and barley, maybe I cut the grains so they get more pellets??

Right so fertility is up ( yay) got about 9 out of 12 eggs, but now I'm getting blood rings around day 7, about 4 out of the 9 have died. Not an incubator issue as have been hatching multitude of other eggs with no problem. They are getting mostly pellets with a handful of sprouted wheat and thats it, good water access etc.
What is going on

Back
Top Bottom