1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fertilized eggs in the fridge?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jed1154, Mar 3, 2009.

1. jed1154

jed1154 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    If I want to sell eggs to people, and there is a chance they are fertilized, will their development be STOPPED by putting them in the fridge after them being laid? I have read that they can be retrieved from the fridge after a couple of days and then incubated for a successful hatch, but does that egg continue to develop WHILE it's in the fridge? I dont want to have eggs sitting in the fridge and end up cracking open an embryo or sell them and have it happen.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    to cold in the fridge for them to develope

3. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I have hatched eggs from the fridge, but it wasn't below 40 degrees.

4. jed1154

Jul 10, 2008
    So if you do that, does their development 'pause' until you take them out and back to the hen/incubator?

In other words, if i put a fertile egg in the fridge that has a small bullseye, will it still have a SMALL bullseye in a week? Two weeks?

5. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

No development takes place until they reach 99.5 or so. You will have no trouble selling your eggs. Fertilized eggs are no different from store bought eggs accept that fresh eggs taste better.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Unless it's a really hot day in the summer with no AC eggs won't even develop on your counter top. They can sit on the counter for weeks and still be the same as when you collected them. Most other countries aren't as obsessive as the US about refrigerating eggs.

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is true. I once had a game hen lay 10 eggs over the course of a month in the hot South Florida August sun. She hatched all ten. And, I believe eggs can be hatched as long as they haven`t been frozen.

8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Double post. Sorry. Computer glitch

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  9. jed1154

Jul 10, 2008
    I know. I ate eggs fertilized or not all throughout my youth. However, i understand that some people ask if you have roosters. I hate to lie about it, but they probably wont buy eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by