fertilized eggs vs. unfertilized eggs

No difference at all. Reminds of the guy who only wanted brown eggs, because "they're healthier".
th.gif

I assume you're asking about over-breeding. Yes, it damages the hen. I just had to cull some of my roosters because a couple of the older, slower hens (easier to catch) were having all the feathers worn off their backs and wings. That's why they make chicken saddles... to protect the hens from overly active roosters.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.ChickenTrackin.com

It doesn't seem to hurt hens at all, it's not ..... err.. **thinks how to put this** physical in the same way mammal breeding is, what bothers the hens a bit is all the floundering around that roosters do, wait, that's exactlllll....er, Never Mind.

If you have a well mannered roo, it's not as bothersom to the hens IMO. Also, it's best if you have the right hen to rooster ratio, too many roosters and the hens are bothered too much, too many hens and the rooster is tired and not very effective.

Also, sometimes a rooster winds up with a favorite hen and she gets sort of downtrodden looking from all the attention.

Most people say 1 rooster to 10 hens, well, that's often ok, but I like to have more hens than that to one roo. up to around 20... after 20 it's good to have a second roo as long as he's willing to play second fiddle and not fight much over things. Of course his fertility rate will drop off if he's trying to breed too many hens, but that's not always so bad either. All depends on why you have a roo. Me, I think a -good- rooster keeps the hens 'together' is a good lookout for danger, will protect them from some danger if possible, and is just nice to have around.

//edit// all this is just MY feelings on the subject, everyone has opinions and experiences which form them. All roosters are different and things may well work out otherwise for you.

Also, eggs taste eggsactly the same fertile or not. LOL, that WAS the whole point of this wasn't it?

Last edited:
Quote:
okay... i have three silkie babies, and i want to keep them all, regardless of sex.

so if i ended up with one rooster and three hens (we are getting another)

would there be problems?

if i ended up with two roosters, would there be problems??

OH! this is why i edited...

we don't want babies!!!
we will eat the eggs!

i just don't want the ladies being harassed constantly

Last edited:
Quote:
~so if i ended up with one rooster and three hens (we are getting another) would there be problems? possibly but probably managable. You need to watch to see if the hens are looking worn and bedraggled and have a safe place to seperate them so they can have some alone time. I don't know what silkie roosters are like really.

~if i ended up with two roosters, would there be problems? probably, but a lot depends on the personalities of the roos

If you wind up with all roos, they may get along quite well! Bachelor groups sometimes do very well, as soon as any hens get introduced, things change dramatically.

//don't forget, each situation is different, these are just my opinions.

here is a fact some peope will boil and eat an egg that has a developing chick or duckling in it. it is called balut. now how would that be for flavor change..lol. i have one rooster with 12 hens so that all the hens are not "abused". some of the eggs that i do get are fertilized and will have the larger white spot i have not noticed any difference. ill have ones a few days after alot of free ranging they are richer in flavor and a darker yolk but not fertilized and fertlized they taste the same..

we had a chicken, no eggs would she lay
we had a chicken, no eggs would she lay
and the wife said, "Honey, we're losing money"
because that chicken, no eggs would she lay
Than came that rooster, into our yard,
and caught that chicken, right off of her guard
she's layin' eggs now, like she never used to
ever since that rooster, came into our yard

we had a moo cow, no milk would she give
we had a chicken, no milk would she give
because that moocow, no milk would she give
and caught that moo cow, right off of her guard
she's givin' egg nog, like she never used to

we had an elephant, no tusks would she grow
we had an elephant, no tusks would she grow
because that elephant, no tusks would she grow
and caught that elephant, right off of her guard
she's layin' eggs now, out of solid ivory

we had a rooster, he was awfully gay
we had an rooster, he's 'funny that way'
because that rooster, he's funny that way
Than came a chicken, into our yard,
and caught that rooster, right off of his guard
he's layin' hens now, like he never used to
ever since that chicken, came into our yard

Our rooster is with our hens... but seriously thinking of letting the girls have a break too when not hatching... he really over uses his privileges.. and I can't see a diff in the eggs ehehee...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom