Fertilized Eggs

Quote:
I have sucessfully hatched eggs from my flock that had been in my fridge for 2 or 3 days. And my fridge gets so cold, it keeps freezing my lettuce and tomatoes. Cold temps can severly affect hatchability, but chicks can be incubated and hatched from refridgerated eggs. Some people buy refridgerated, fertilized eggs from Trader Joes and have hatched chicks from those eggs. It can happen, but I dont think it happens all the time.

Really? I am skillfully corrected. That's one tough chick
wink.png

Quote:
I have sucessfully hatched eggs from my flock that had been in my fridge for 2 or 3 days. And my fridge gets so cold, it keeps freezing my lettuce and tomatoes. Cold temps can severly affect hatchability, but chicks can be incubated and hatched from refridgerated eggs. Some people buy refridgerated, fertilized eggs from Trader Joes and have hatched chicks from those eggs. It can happen, but I dont think it happens all the time.

Really? I am skillfully corrected. That's one tough chick
wink.png

Honestly, when I read here on BYC that people HAD hatched eggs from Trader Joes, I decided to see if it could be done- so I tossed 3 of my own in from my fridge. I was just amazed that they all hatched. I truly didnt think it would happen since they had been so cold for so long. I guess weirder things have happened..
smile.png

Don't think about fertile or not fertile - It is not like you are eating an embryo. The Momma or the incubator has to start that process.

As far as telling, My brilliant Brother in law (It still makes me giggle) was trying to tell (without cracking the eggs) if he could see a difference. I told him that if he could tell by looking at the outside than I would only feed him the non fertile eggs. Honestly, he thought that having a rooster would lead to unplanned chicks. The only unplanned chicks are the ones I have ordered and conveniently forgot to tell my hubby about. Mr Egghead didn't understand that if you don't let the chickens sit on the eggs then there are no unplanned chicks. Although some of my girls have been very naughtly and laying eggs in unauthorized hidden nests...one had a stash of 10 eggs. They are trying to be Bad girls I guess!

I wait to hear the egg song and find their little hidden stashes!

Caroline

Yeah - I have hatched refridgerated eggs too!

When Momma sits on the eggs - or they go into the bator - then the embryo starts to develop. So when you eat a fertile egg you are not eating a baby chick per say. If that helps.

Can you imagine how hard it would be otherwise if momma had 12 chicks at 12 days apart. A 12 day old chick is so much larger than a 1 day old chick. It would be like having kids 5 years apart- oh wait - mine are! lol

They were genetically programed or designed (by the great entity that created them) to develop at the same rate so they hatch at the same time once heat and moisture was applied either by broody or bator. Development halts too if heat is removed and if not too long will resume and continue. Seriously, the whole process is a miracle in action.

Having observed my naughtly unauthorized hiders of eggs - they will run off an lay an egg in their secret stash and then at some point they stop laying, go broody ( oh is that fun to see them all puffy and godzilla sounding ) and get in a trance and sit on those eggs almost non stop. They are so different broody. But the eggs hatch within a day or two at least unless you added to Momma's stash. Momma is very different with them as they age and grow. At first they just sit under her or near her and as they get older they follow her around sit on top of her. It is really really precious. My Dot hatched one pullet for sure I am hoping it is two and one rooster! I will have to post pics on the what am I a pullet or a roo section. They are about 4 weeks old now and she just resumed laying eggs.

I wouldn't think too hard on the fertile not fertile egg thingy (unless you want to hatch some) just eat them! If you cook em they taste egg-zactly the same!
Caroline

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom