Fertilized Eggs?

lavacaw

Songster
13 Years
Feb 4, 2008
South Central Texas
I have three Jersey Giant hens who have been laying for a couple of months now. I am not seeing any sign that eggs are fertile. I removed one of my two roosters to see if switching them out would help. The one currently in there seems a bit clueless as to what his job is other than to watch them when they free range. I am going to swap roosters tomorrow to see if I see more roosterly behavior from the other one. Should I put some eggs in the incubator for a few days and see if maybe they really are fertile? I truly want some fuzz butts from these guys.

Have you actually tried incubating any yet? You sure they aren't fertile? If your roo isn't actually doing his job, the best thing to do in my opinion is isolate him from being with (but he can see) the girls for a while. It will make them feel quite desperate. After a week or so, let him out and he should get right on it.

Do you eat any of the eggs? Check for the fertilized "bulls-eye" on the yolk when you crack 'em open.

Instead of a little white spot on the yolk, it's a hollow circle of white.

But I understand you wanting to incubate, candle and if they're showing development, continue to incubate. Just thought I'd mention another method of checking for fertility - if you're eating the eggs.

Yep, I been eating the eggs. I have let them sit on the table for several days before using just hoping to see a bulls eye. So far I am not seeing fertilized eggs. Will try separating them from both roos if #2 doesn't take care of the job. Keep those ideas coming. I reaaaaalllly want some babies.

Back
Top Bottom