Fertilizers and Ducks?

Mallarducks

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2023
Hello! I wanted to grow some wheatgrass for my ducks but my soil is currently not at a satisfactory fertile level, so I wanted to know if synthetic human grade fertilizer is safe for my ducks if they ever peck/eat the dirt or the wheatgrass. I wanted to use store-bought synthetic fertilizer like miraclegro but I read that It can be toxic and plants can absorb it. Additionally I also saw that I can buy an organic fertilizer that pledges to be free from toxins but is it safe for ducks or is this just for humans? 😓

Hello! I wanted to grow some wheatgrass for my ducks but my soil is currently not at a satisfactory fertile level, so I wanted to know if synthetic human grade fertilizer is safe for my ducks if they ever peck/eat the dirt or the wheatgrass. I wanted to use store-bought synthetic fertilizer like miraclegro but I read that It can be toxic and plants can absorb it. Additionally I also saw that I can buy an organic fertilizer that pledges to be free from toxins but is it safe for ducks or is this just for humans? 😓
We put fertilizer and broadleaf killer on our lawn every spring and fall with a couple of various products, both of which said to put on when the grass was wet, and that when it was dry, it was pet safe.

The one you mention says "free from toxins," is just that, free from toxins. Things either have toxins or they don't, it's not specific to a species; however, things like tomato leaves can be "toxic" to chickens, whereas to us they aren't. I hope that made sense.

Adding fertilizer to the soil that the plants will eventually absorb isn't going to hurt your ducks.

Back
Top Bottom