1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Few questions on breeding my silkies.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jferlisi, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So I was hoping i could get some help with my silkie breeding pen. Atm its a blue i geuss. I have a splash non-bearded roo over a black non-bearded and a black bearded hen. So far i have hatched out 7 blue chicks and 2 have 5 toes on there left and 4 on there right. All parents have 5 toes. They are both out of my non-beared hen. Is this a gene from her. 2 others from her both have 5. One of the chicks with 4-5 toes has a vaulted skull. Are the toes something i should cull for as i try to increase the quality of my chicks? Also what are some of the traits or things i need to look out for as chicks and when they are growing to cull and what to keep. Im guessing the darker the chick the brighter the blue will be. I have 2 really dark blues and the other 5 are really light. Thanks for all the help people. I really am greatful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by