Ficton Chicken Books?? :)

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Settler'sDreamFarm, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Settler'sDreamFarm

Settler'sDreamFarm █ [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 7, 2008
    Ontario, Canada :)
    For all of you book readers is there any good ficton (so there are chapter books, but there could possibly be non-ficton) books oabout chickens or storeys that take place on a farm??? thanks [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Look for women's fiction and biographies on homesteading women. There is Fresh Eggs but I didn't like the book or its political agenda.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Still Life with Chickens is about starting over after divorce and is a memoir by Catherine Goldhammer. She use to frequent BYC EZ board and Yuku. She mentions the older BYC and Wes in TX our chicken guru once or twice in the book.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My mom gave me a first edition print of "The Egg and I" for Christmas. It takes place on Vashon Island, which is an island that can be seen from the town where we all live. It was also made into a movie, I think in the 50s or so.

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Well, who can ever forget the generous Mrs. Boast, who secretly delivers a whole setting of chicks for Caroline Ingalls out on the prairie, saving them a whole year of waiting. Plus lots of jokes about prairie chickens.

I don't even think of Ingalls books as books - more like water or air.

Embarrassing fact: I actually made my husband read them all before we got married. We read them aloud. He introduced me to Parliament - the band, I mean, not the institution - so I figure we're even.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  6. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Don't know about chicken books, but, "Hank the Cowdog" series is fine reading for anyone.
    [​IMG]

7. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Quote:The author of the Hank series lives about 1.5 hours from here!!! Way up in the Texas Panhandle.

There's also "Tillie Lays an Egg" just released this month by Terrie Golson.
    http://www.tillielaysanegg.com/

You can watch her hens live: www.hencam.com or read her blog at http://www.hencam.com/blog.htm

She
    has written other books chicken related, as well.

Tillie's character is based on her hen "Snowball" who died this past fall [​IMG] YOu can read about Snowball in the blog.

8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    You can always read Fatima's saga (in my sig line)!

I found Animal, Vegetable, Miracle to be very nice. It's not fiction though.

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Or it might be worth it to read Charlotte's Web again [​IMG]

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is a very good book. I almost bought it, it's that good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by