fiddlesticks-there goes the plan

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
I really do not know why I even plan with chickens, they never follow it.

Good grief, I was missing a bird 2 weeks ago, so they have been in lock down. Today, I am doing a clean bedding job, so I let them out, as I am right there, cleaning up old bedding. I go up to our barn and get some new waste hay, for fresh bedding and come back down. While cleaning out the coop, there were a lot of feathers, must be the juvenile molt I think.

Then as I am adding bedding to the run, there is a huge pile of feathers... where is Chrome?:mad: The flock master? But I have bushes... I find him, still a bit warm, must be a coyote. Broad daylight, must have left him when I came back. What is a bit strange, the rest of the flock is not even upset.

So the problem, the plan was to leave Chrome and one of the juvenile roosters with the flock with the idea that Chrome would be moved out in early winter. And the young boy would be ready. I was going to pull the other three roosters to the rooster pad. Which I have not done yet, as they have not bothered anyone with Chrome in the flock. So do I leave the one I have picked with the girls and pullets, or should I just have a hen flock for a while, and all the boys go to the bachelor pad?

I liked the idea of the older girls and rooster schooling them in proper chicken society... but without Chrome, there will be a shift in pecking order... :barnie

I have the bachelor pad set up, nothing in it yet.

Mrs K

Yes, as long as they are in the set up, they should be fine. I have not let them out for weeks. Could not believe it with me right there, has to be coyote. Back in lock down.

Dang!! Sneaky batrastards!
That's a shame.

Will be interesting to see how it works out.
I'd agree with leaving the young boys in the flock, see what happens.
You're ready to remove all, or all but one, if they can't get along.

Back
Top Bottom