Field Trip to the run

jjchickmom

Chirping
May 23, 2017
Our little chickies had a field trip to their run today. They had a ball exploring and being big chickens for a few hours

IMG_20170604_171442237.jpg
IMG_20170604_183811666.jpg
IMG_20170604_183811666.jpg
IMG_20170604_183558280.jpg

That's funny, I'm doing "field trips" also with my chicks (that's what I call them too!). They look very much the same age, or perhaps yours are just a bit older? (mine will be 4 weeks on Wednesday). I'm afraid to leave them alone still, so I sat with them for an hour. Old hens next door are not happy about the situation! The chicks are so much fun at this age!

We have been doing field trips too. Mine were 4 weeks old yesterday! The plan is to move them out tomorrow. This weekend looks really warm so the coop won't be as cold as it has been. I've read to leave them in the coop for a few days so they know where to come back to. Is that how you all do it or do you have a better method for getting them back in the coop at night? Our run is big and they don't seem to like the idea of going in or out the coop door. Once in they won't go out and once out they won't go in! hahaha

Unless your run is completely covered in hardware cloth, I would stick them in the coop, and just let them in the run supervised for another week or two. You can use treats to get them in and out of the coop.

I took mine out yesterday, and decided to try and leave them in the run by themselves for just a few minutes. I have the run divided in half , with 2 by 3 welded wire, backed up with 2' of 1" chicken wire at the bottom. As I was leaving, the smallest one decided to try and follow me! She flew up to the top of the chicken wire, and started to squeeze through the welded wire, into the side with the big hens! I'm sure they would have made short work of her. I came screaming back in and she backed down.

SO apparently I am going to have to line the inside of the whole run with bird netting or something for now. If there is a hole, those little buggers will find it.

Our fenc
Unless your run is completely covered in hardware cloth, I would stick them in the coop, and just let them in the run supervised for another week or two. You can use treats to get them in and out of the coop.

I took mine out yesterday, and decided to try and leave them in the run by themselves for just a few minutes. I have the run divided in half , with 2 by 3 welded wire, backed up with 2' of 1" chicken wire at the bottom. As I was leaving, the smallest one decided to try and follow me! She flew up to the top of the chicken wire, and started to squeeze through the welded wire, into the side with the big hens! I'm sure they would have made short work of her. I came screaming back in and she backed down.

SO apparently I am going to have to line the inside of the whole run with bird netting or something for now. If there is a hole, those little buggers will find it.
Oh goodness! At least you know they like you! hahaha Our fence is 6 feet high and covered in hardware cloth. I am going to put that deer netting over the top for now but they won't be in the run unless we are home!
I just can't seem to get them to come to me, even with treats, when they are some place new. In the brooder they all come running to me even without a treat! Outside or in the big girl coop they just ignore me or even run away! Once they get used to it for a couple hours some of them will come over and sit on my lap. Hopefully once the newness wears off it'll get better!

Back
Top Bottom