FIFTH failed hatch........sick to death

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wrestling_mom, Nov 15, 2011.

1. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Actually had a lil guy pip and start zipping, and shrinkwrapped overnight. The other four? NADA.

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ahh Im sorry. Im still trying to figure out how shrinkwrapped is caused... [​IMG]

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Sorry your chicks didn't hatch. Frustrating.

DId you keep a journal? The big hatcheries keep log books ; you can too. Reviewing the journal can be very revealing. A small glitch can stop the chicks from hatching.

WHen I have eggs pipped and not zipping, I do help the chick hach. I have had many sucesses. YOu will need to find the threads with specific instructions on opening the eggs.

Are these local fresh eggs ? Or shipped eggs? I would try again using local eggs and keep a journal of these things: Date, turning info 3-5x/day, incubator temps (4-5x a day) and humidity. Try the dry incubation method--many people have success with this. Do you check the egg for mosture loss? This is important. Here are some resources that I collected while trying t o learn to incubate:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=541936

GOOD LUCK !

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Quote:Shrink wrapping happens when humidity is too low, the membrane dries up and shrinks, trapping the chick. Check your humidity and add sponges as needed to hit 50-60% humidity.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    hatching humidity can be as high as necessary to prevent the membranes from drying out. The most critical time for humidity to be at a reasonable level is the first 18 days. This allows the eggs to lose the proper amount of moisture prior to the chicks pipping the aircell. Once the chick pips the aircell and is then pipping the shell, the humidity should be your highest concern. At minimum 50% but the higher the better. Mine runs about 70% during hatching with spikes to 95% or so as the chicks hatch. Never have chicks stuck inside anymore.

6. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    Sorry about the bad hatches:hit I know how bad that sucks! I have tried all kinds of hatching methods and so far the one that works best for me is pete55's way. If you look on his BYC page he has all kinds of links and great pics of incubation and hatching. Some of the info is on hatching other birds but you can make adjustments and look at the picks.

Did you calibrate your thermometer and hygrometer? Digital thermometers can not be calibarted by the ice water method, get a few of the fish thermometer from WalMart. For hygrometers I have tried all kinds and the one recommended by cmom is the best! It needs no adjustments when you calibarate it and it is not too costly, from eggcartons.com

http://www.eggcartons.com/New-Design-Incubator-Hygrometer/productinfo/FHP-HYGRO/

You can look on my own BYC Page to read some of my hints and tricks I have learned here and there that have helped me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by