Fig tree in chicken yard

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by texas hiker, Jun 30, 2009.

1. texas hiker

texas hiker Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    East Texas
    My great grandmother had this HUGE fig tree in her chicken yard. She died in 1979, so I can not ask her why it was there, but I am going to guess that it was there for a reason.

Do chickens like figs? I am going to guess that my great grandmother planted the fig tree in the chicken yard so the chickens could eat the fallen figs.

The chicken poop may have acted as a natural fertilizer for the tree.

So in a way, the tree might have recycled the chickens own poop in the way of a fruit.

2. JohnL11935

JohnL11935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I find chickens will eat most anything.

I suspect your grandmother planted the tree to both feed and shade them. Sounds like a smart woman.

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Chickens adore figs. I have some figs in the freezer from last year I never got around to putting up, & I've been putting them out there & they have been going crazy over them.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The first thing my rooster does when I let him out of the coop in the morning is check the around the fig tree; which is close to the coop.
    He doesn't understand that this year's figs aren't ripe yet. He keeps hoping and hoping....

5. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by