Fighting chicken sisters!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lizardfi, Dec 14, 2015.

1. lizardfi

lizardfi New Egg

Dec 14, 2015
    Feilding, New Zealand
    Hello & help! My two elderly sussex cross hens who have know each other their whole life ( they are sisters) have suddenly started fighting violently! They were always best friends and I don't know what to do. They are free range & have plenty to eat and do. Both of them are clucky- could this be something to do with it? Any ideas/advice?

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Has any other changes taken place in the coop? It sounds like they are reestablishing pecking order.

3. lizardfi

lizardfi New Egg

Dec 14, 2015
    Feilding, New Zealand
    Hi BrideBeliever, I do have a new Orpington & Red has been sleeping in the neighbours coop for a long time before that, but they always hung out together in the daytime with no problems so still puzzled...

4. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Adding even one new bird to the flock causes a "resorting" of the pecking order. I think this is your answer and it should settle down again pretty soon.

5. lizardfi

lizardfi New Egg

Dec 14, 2015
    Feilding, New Zealand
    Thanks for that, I hope so! I think Red & Mary are battling for dominance though neither of them were ever top dog among the combined flock of our 3 chickens & the neighbours' five. Maybe Red is jealous Mary has become great friends with Ebony Orpington?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by