1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fighting chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by riyadh123, Sep 22, 2013.

1. riyadh123

riyadh123 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    what shall i do? i just let my 5 week chicks into the coop. they got hit continuously and it keeps on happening

2. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I would safeguard them somewhere else, with no mamma to protect them they will be killed

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    5 weeks is way too young to be put in with adult birds. I've had best luck waiting until the littles are roughly the same size, around 16 weeks. they need to be penned elsewhere until then, preferably somewhere the older birds can still see them to get used to them.

1 person likes this.
  4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2. They can be killed if you leave them in there at this young age. They need to be about the same size, as mentioned. I raise mine in a grow out pen alongside the older girls from the age of 5 weeks until they are 15 weeks old. Then they all get to free range in my pasture together. At that point pecking order scuffles are very minor and they settle in pretty quick.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  5. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    X3

They need to get used to each other, slowly, then they will need a safe place to hide.

This is what I used for a while to keep them separated. After a week, I cut a couple small holes where the little ones could get in & out, but the big ones couldn't follow.

[​IMG]

Once they were bigger and spending most of their time outside the "safe house", I took it out. They will need their own food and water since the big chickens will keep the little ones away.

6. riyadh123

riyadh123 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    ok thnx!!!!!!!#

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by