Fighting chickens

riyadh123

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
what shall i do? i just let my 5 week chicks into the coop. they got hit continuously and it keeps on happening

5 weeks is way too young to be put in with adult birds. I've had best luck waiting until the littles are roughly the same size, around 16 weeks. they need to be penned elsewhere until then, preferably somewhere the older birds can still see them to get used to them.

5 weeks is way too young to be put in with adult birds. I've had best luck waiting until the littles are roughly the same size, around 16 weeks. they need to be penned elsewhere until then, preferably somewhere the older birds can still see them to get used to them.

X2. They can be killed if you leave them in there at this young age. They need to be about the same size, as mentioned. I raise mine in a grow out pen alongside the older girls from the age of 5 weeks until they are 15 weeks old. Then they all get to free range in my pasture together. At that point pecking order scuffles are very minor and they settle in pretty quick.

Last edited:
X3

They need to get used to each other, slowly, then they will need a safe place to hide.

This is what I used for a while to keep them separated. After a week, I cut a couple small holes where the little ones could get in & out, but the big ones couldn't follow.

Once they were bigger and spending most of their time outside the "safe house", I took it out. They will need their own food and water since the big chickens will keep the little ones away.

Back
Top Bottom