Fighting ducks

Yes this is their coop. But it's as big as we could possibly have it given our situation. It actually is about twice the size that yours appears, maybe a little more. But we don't have space for a bigger one or two. Plus we figured they only go in at night. And they always got along. So we were surprised when this happened, especially after we did already re-home our 2 girls.
But last night was better. Maybe it was the scary time out in the shower. As soon as he started acting like he was about to get aggressive, and I started telling him to stop he did. And we were ready with a divider if we had to use it. I'll put a picture below. It wasn't needed though. A lot of the anxiety comes in the early evening when a couple of wild mottled ducks come up in the yard to eat after they are in the coop. None of them are happy about that situation. But the others don't do to each other what the fighting one does. 2 of them might nip or bite a little. Mostly because one wants to always pace back and forth while the visitors are there, and another insists on preening right up front and won't move out of the way!😂
And you know ducks. Heaven forbid, they should go around each other. No, they have to plow right through.
But you're right, there isn't any place for him to go to get away. We're just going to watch them and be ready to divide.
Great work! That looks awesome!

Unfortunately I continue to have my share (maybe more than my share?) of duck/vet drama. It feels never ending.

At least the shower was an easy to clean time out. 🤣 Ducks are so charming, but quite naughty and exasperating at times.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. They sure are worth all three trouble though aren't they. I just crack up watching them when they're behaving 🤣

Well I thought things were okay as the night winds down so I hadn't separated anyone. But I just looked through the coop cam from last night. And OMG it was brawl after brawl all night. Only one duck of the 4 doesn't go after anyone and seems to just cower in a corner hoping to be ignored. But they eventually come after him.
My question is this. I was supposed to separate them into 2 pairs. But I'm feeling so sorry for the poor innocent one I'm thinking of putting him by himself.
Would that be a terrible idea? Otherwise he'll still be attacked while the others are still going to want to fight.

Well I thought things were okay as the night winds down so I hadn't separated anyone. But I just looked through the coop cam from last night. And OMG it was brawl after brawl all night. Only one duck of the 4 doesn't go after anyone and seems to just cower in a corner hoping to be ignored. But they eventually come after him.
My question is this. I was supposed to separate them into 2 pairs. But I'm feeling so sorry for the poor innocent one I'm thinking of putting him by himself.
Would that be a terrible idea? Otherwise he'll still be attacked while the others are still going to want to fight.
I think he'll be ok if he can still see his friends - and he should be able to with the divider you made. But then you'll have 3 quarreling in the other smaller space and that doesn't seem good either. Is there one who fights less you can put in with the non fighter? Maybe you need 2 more dividers!

I think he'll be ok if he can still see his friends - and he should be able to with the divider you made. But then you'll have 3 quarreling in the other smaller space and that doesn't seem good either. Is there one who fights less you can put in with the non fighter? Maybe you need 2 more dividers!
I actually started thinking the same thing. Three fighting ducks in a tighter space wouldn't be good. We just put them in separating in pairs. They went nuts at first but settling down now. I think he should be okay with the mate we put him with. They got nose to nose a few times but neither started biting or pulling. So 🤞!

Back
Top Bottom