Fighting Hen

Linda91722

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
California
Hello, I am new here and new to chickens. I have four hens that are my girls, they are nice tempered and sweet as can be. My husband and I decided to go to the local pound and buy a hen they had there, this hen also came with 7 chicks
big_smile.png
I have had the mom and chicks seperated from my girls for the first couple of days but with in reach and sight. today I decided to see if the Mother Hen wanted to mneet my girls as she kept paseing in front of their pen, so I let her in and quest what? if you guest that she started to fight with all four of my girls then you won. My husband thinks maybe she was raised to fight by her previous owner (as she was one of about 8 hens and 5 roos that the pound had) I thought maybe she was just afraid they would get at her chicks. I hope someone can help me I dont know if I should find a home from the momma hen or wait and see if she will be ok once her chickies are grown. Thank you

First of all, WELCOME to BYC!! You'll find a ton of great information here and good people too!

Now, I hate to fuss at ya when it's just your very first post...but here goes...
smile.png

It's too late now, but in the future you should quarantine ANY birds coming into your flock for a month at least, completely separated from the other birds - like in a different area of the yard, far away, etc. Coming from the pound, there's no telling what that hen will bring into your birds. Hopefully no harm was done.

As far as the fighting, It's not unusual for a hen with chicks to be VERY protective of her babies - probably doesn't have as much to do with the breed as the situation.

I'd reseparate her until she loses interest in caring for the chicks, then try again and see how it goes.

Hopefully she hasn't brought any illness to your flock so that you still have a flock to integrate...

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome. I started with my flock this spring, so I'm still a bit of a newbie also! I would still keep them seperated for a little while, to do the quarentine, and too the mom is still probbably protecting her babies. When you do reintroduce her to your flock, they will still fight somewhat, because chickens have to get thier pecking order down. As long as they aren't too rough and making the other one bleed, it should be ok. They all do this! Personally I've never had any experience with the game hens, but my dad told me that they are very protective of thier young and will get agressive if they think one of their babies is in danger. Just give it a little time and see what happens. Hopefully everthing will turn out oK!

welcome-byc.gif

Thank yu for the advise, I will go out now and move the cage far away from my hens I hope and pray nothing will happen, my girls are my babies I even have them named (Hannah, Blingbling, Lucy and Ethal)

Back
Top Bottom