Fighting hens 17 weeks old

utefan47

Chirping
Apr 21, 2022
New to this; raised from chicks, I have 14 hens at 17 weeks old (haven't seen any eggs yet). This last week, every night they go into the coop they fight for one corner. They laid all over each other in one corner, pushing and squawking and taking flight. The rest of the coop is free and plenty of perch space. Is this normal? I've leery I'll come out in the morning and one will be dead.

Chickens do some very bizarre things that don't make sense to people. My only suggestion would be perhaps they got a fright from a small predator like a rat, something that wasn't much of a threat to their lives but has made them skittish. Or maybe they are working out their pecking order now they're getting older and all want that one spot they have decided is the best.
Sorry I can't be more help, hopefully someone else can pop in with some suggestions.

They're fighting for space on the ground? Or on the roost? Pretty normal to see jockeying for space on the roost, because there's preferred spots for sure.

If they're on the ground, I'd encourage them to start roosting at this point, they really should be on roosts already.

How bad would you say the fighting is? Unless they are drawing mild amounts of blood, making wounds, or going for the eyes, it's just normal pecking order behavior. They are just coming of lay and that changes up the order a bit. It's also very normal for them to assert themselves for a favorite spot to roost. They sound fine to me.

I agree with the last commenter. It sounds like they are not roosting on a roost? If they are on the ground, you should put them on a roost every night (unless it's a breed known for not roosting in which case ignore me). Chicks should actually have a roost available from week two. They are losing out on the development of very important roosting muscles. You are their mother hen and it's critical for you to teach them to roost at some point. While some do learn on their own to roost. Others need a bit of a push.

Chickens do some very bizarre things that don't make sense to people. My only suggestion would be perhaps they got a fright from a small predator like a rat, something that wasn't much of a threat to their lives but has made them skittish. Or maybe they are working out their pecking order now they're getting older and all want that one spot they have decided is the best.
Sorry I can't be more help, hopefully someone else can pop in with some suggestions.
Thank you. Believe it or not all comments help. At least I know I'm not crazy. I was actually thinking those same things. I realize I need to get on the efforts team and stop controlling outcomes. Rather let chickens be chickens. HA!

How bad would you say the fighting is? Unless they are drawing mild amounts of blood, making wounds, or going for the eyes, it's just normal pecking order behavior. They are just coming of lay and that changes up the order a bit. It's also very normal for them to assert themselves for a favorite spot to roost. They sound fine to me.

I agree with the last commenter. It sounds like they are not roosting on a roost? If they are on the ground, you should put them on a roost every night (unless it's a breed known for not roosting in which case ignore me). Chicks should actually have a roost available from week two. They are losing out on the development of very important roosting muscles. You are their mother hen and it's critical for you to teach them to roost at some point. While some do learn on their own to roost. Others need a bit of a push.
Thank you for your comments. Yes I do have perches. Several in fact which is why I can't figure out why they don't just move over but that's applying human logic. Ha! I hate waiting for first blood but apparently that's when I know I need to intervene. Otherwise let chickens be well chickens not my kids. :) i get it. Thank you.

Af
They're fighting for space on the ground? Or on the roost? Pretty normal to see jockeying for space on the roost, because there's preferred spots for sure.

If they're on the ground, I'd encourage them to start roosting at this point, they really should be on roosts already.
After replying to another nice person that posted and then reading yours I realize my perches (one is moveable) are to close at the same level which is allowing them to be too close hence laying on each other. I see. So to encourage roosting the single roost would be better. Interesting. I will try this today. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom