fighting hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newchicky11, Sep 10, 2013.

1. newchicky11

newchicky11 New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    I got some hens 2 weeks ago and now I got another single hen. Her friend was eaten by a hawk so I figured she needed some friends. I threw them in together and the new girl attacked my polish hen:(
    Any suggestions? What should I do?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] can you put a temporary partition in your coop/ run so they can see each other but, not cause blood shed or death. Also a new bird in your flock- that hasn't been quarantined could introduce parasites or disease to your other birds.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    A forum member has already mentioned quarantining new birds,but since you have put them together already,probably to late for that. Also try to get birds in pairs,that way no new hen will be singled out. When you have different looking birds like silkies or polish it is common for other chickens to attack them b/c they look different,separate them so they can see but not touch. Keep separated for a week or longer(depends on how they act towards each other)let them out together with supervision and see how they behave together,they will eventually get along just may take some time.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by