Fighting my newly starting Homeowners Association

Best of luck.

I know there is a good and bad to all things including HOA's... but to me, HOA's just make me sick inside. I can't imagine someone telling me how to live and how to look to the outside world. It's like another form of micromanaging gov't!

I can't think of a single benefit to living in an HOA ruled community. If I wanted to live in Stepfordville I would buy into one; then again, I have no desire to pay hundreds of thousands to live where someone else can tell me what color to paint my house, whether or not I can have a garden (yea, right!), or what kind of lawn chair I can buy. All I can say is don't do it.

I really hate HOAs. I do not like anyone telling my what I can and can't do in the property I OWN. I don't like being told I have to do anything. My thoughts are if you maintain your home and yard and keep it clean from clutter and weeds then who cares. If you maintain animals well by keeping their areas picked up and sanitary then who cares.

What is the purpose of HOA anyway? Why was it started in the first place. Was it started for the "lazy" neighbors who pile crap up in their yard and never do work or maintenance? In our city, you are fined if your lot is not up to a certain standard. With enough complaints you can even evict someone. But that takes a lot of signatures and several hearings. Your case must also be quite seveir too.

Their is my rant. Sorry about that. I hope your HOA either disappears or stops the nazi rule. LOL

I sooo wish you lots and lots of luck!

I was once for my HOA- and now I totally hate it...

If they made me get rid of my animals- they would surely have a fight on their hands! I swear my animals, make less noise than the neighbors' dogs and don't run amok causing chaos! I can't wait till we save up some money and are able to move to someplace with lots of land and NO HOA's!

If you have a full sized truck, it might not fit in any garage.

I hate HOAs too. I can see their purpose in running a common area, but heck, I want my neighbors to be able to paint their house Flamingo pink if it suits them. I don't think people should be fined if they don't mow the lawn. And I can't imagine or understand why anyone would put in a covenant prohibiting a vegetable garden.

Why does the developer even care? Does he still have units to sell?

Best of luck in getting it disbanded or under the residents' control.

Quote:
Of course I asked why when we were pressed about our three tomato plants. They said that it took away from the symmetry of one yard to the next and that it could have a detrimental effect to property values...I'm not kidding. Part of my argument pointed out the development motto - "...blah, blah, blah community with that down home country feeling" and they said that each house fits that aesthetic and the phrase was part of a marketing plan AND gardens were strictly prohibited in the covenants and restrictions. Simply unbelievable.

I know something else that has even a greater effect on property values and it's happening to our economy right now! Then again, maybe the HOA board was right. Perhaps it was my tomato plants that brought the entire US real estate industry to its knees?

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how HOA's are legal. If it's my property that I paid for, come hell or highwater, NO ONE is going to tell me what I can and cannot do with my house or on my land. I'd as soon live under a bridge as to live in one. For those who like them, I suppose to each his own, and most people do realize they are agreeing to a HOA when they move in, but I certainly will never live in one. Hope things go well for you!

I can certainly empathize with you in this struggle. I lived once in a community that originally was all apartments and townhouses. Then new owners came in and all the rules changed. However I was grandfathered, so they couldn't do much except raise the rents at the end of each lease agreement.

As I understand it you now have a copy of the covenants that were in you buyers agreement and hopefully also a copy of the by-laws. Compare the two and see where they are different. You might be able to find something in them were they contradict each other.

HOA were originally set up to maintain the common areas of tract built communities. They have, in some communities, become overbearing and thugs. I have some friends that live in one of those types of communities. Whenever I visit them, they have a neighbor that complains about my car. Last time I was there, I confronted this person and told him if he wanted to buy me a new car I would be more than happy to take it from him, free of charge!

If you do have to go into court over this issue, make sure that you have all of your documentation, any pictures, etc. together in a folder and make copies of them as well. The more organized you are the more likely the judge will lean towards your side when making the decision.

Some of these communities will not let the home owner even erect a fence around their backyard, to keep wandering animals, children, etc, from ruining their property.

I wish you luck.

Back
Top Bottom