Chicks starting to violently fight

biggmackk17

Hatching
Apr 15, 2024
Hi there, we rescued 4 feral chicks here in Hawaii when they were abandoned by their mother. This is our first time with chickens so its been a learning experience. We brought them home when they were around a week old and have had them for a week and a half. They've been doing fine since we had them, with little scuffles here and there of them flying at each other but nothing serious. We've had them in a kiddie pool, 5 feet in diameter, 2.5 feet tall, for the last 4 days or so.

They started being able to fly out the sides, so we surrounded it in sheets as temporary walls until we could pick up some chicken wire. I cleared the sheets out today, and put chicken wire over the top of the pool, and two who normally go at it from time to time started fighting much more violently than usual. I waited about 30 secs to see if it would resolve itself since I had read about it being fairly normal behavior with pecking order and all that, but that was about all I could stomach. I pulled them apart and it looks like the largest one got a hold of the other ones eyelid and caused it to bleed, as well as a bit of bleeding on the top of the beak.

I removed the mesh from the top thinking they may have perceived it as being less space, but as soon as they are back together it back to fighting. All the other ones seem to be getting into it with each other as well now. I'm not sure what to do, there's plenty of food, water and space. Any idea why they might have started fighting so severely out of the blue? They've all gotten along fine since before tonight. Anything I can do to get it to stop? I cant really over over them all night and break out any brawl that starts up.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Afraid I don’t know much about chicks as such but I recommend you remove the injured bird immediately, they get a blood lust and will continue to pick on her.
Then I would check for overcrowding, there is lots of information on this site about how much space each girl will need although I don’t know the figures for chicks.
This would be where I would start,
Hope it helps,
Hugz

Afraid I don’t know much about chicks as such but I recommend you remove the injured bird immediately, they get a blood lust and will continue to pick on her.
Then I would check for overcrowding, there is lots of information on this site about how much space each girl will need although I don’t know the figures for chicks.
This would be where I would start,
Hope it helps,
Hugz
Thanks for the speedy reply. I have the injured one separated right now. Although the crying is non stop when it is separated from the rest.

In regards to the overcrowding, the tub comes out to about 19 square feet which is around 4.75 square per chick which seems to be well over the size as far as I’m reading….Ill try and isolate the instigator for a bit and see if the rest calm down a bit

Back
Top Bottom