cheitz20

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2024
I just adopted a “runt” chick from a friend because all their other chicks were attacking it (pulling out feathers, pecking to the point of bleeding, stepping on it). We aren’t supposed to get the rest of our chicks for 3 days, but I had to rescue this poor girl/guy and save it from being killed by its brooder-mates. How can I keep the chick from feeling lonely until we get the rest of our chicks? She/he is crying a lot when not sleeping, but so far stuffed animals have helped. Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0378.jpeg
    IMG_0378.jpeg
    497.9 KB · Views: 19
:welcome

I was just about to suggest stuffed animals. Are you doing anything for her wounds? Does she appear otherwise healthy? This doesn't seem like normal behavior for chicks, so I'm wondering if there's more going on with this poor chick.

:welcome

I was just about to suggest stuffed animals. Are you doing anything for her wounds? Does she appear otherwise healthy? This doesn't seem like normal behavior for chicks, so I'm wondering if there's more going on with this poor chick.
She doesn’t seem to have any open wounds, but she definitely seems weaker due to her size (which I believe the other chicks recognized and therefore picked on her). I was also looking into getting electrolytes for her water to see if that could help her energy level? She’s been sleeping a lot which may be due to how little sleep she probably got with the other chicks bothering her or maybe it’s something else, I’m not too sure.

She doesn’t seem to have any open wounds, but she definitely seems weaker due to her size (which I believe the other chicks recognized and therefore picked on her). I was also looking into getting electrolytes for her water to see if that could help her energy level? She’s been sleeping a lot which may be due to how little sleep she probably got with the other chicks bothering her or maybe it’s something else, I’m not too sure.
I would get her some electrolytes for her. For a boost, perhaps giving her some sugar water might be good as well.

I'd get Poultry Nutri-Drench and add it to her water or give her 1-2 drops directly in the mouth (be careful, as it's easy for a chicken to aspirate on liquids). It'll provide a bit of extra vitamins and energy to help boost her.

Other than the stuffed animals, a well secured mirror can also help give them a "friend."

I'd get Poultry Nutri-Drench and add it to her water or give her 1-2 drops directly in the mouth (be careful, as it's easy for a chicken to aspirate on liquids). It'll provide a bit of extra vitamins and energy to help boost her.

Other than the stuffed animals, a well secured mirror can also help give them a "friend."
Will do, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom