Fighting Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nanny chick, Apr 14, 2009.

1. nanny chick

nanny chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    My young rooster likes to attack me from behind. Thank goodness he doesn't have spurs. Today he attack my two year old pet hen. She had been the boss of the chicken yard. Does anyone know how to stop him from being so aggressive? He is a beautiful barred rock plymouth and I really don't want to get rid of him.

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I hold mine upside down by his legs until he settles down everytime he does it seems to keep mine in line because I have 9 roosters and 10 hens to one run and coop and they all get along most of the time.

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    just likes dogs, chickens need discipline. Pick him up and hold him for awhile. Then put him back down. It may take a couple trys, but he should leave you alone after that!

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Define "attacking your pet hen". Are you sure he wasn't trying to mate with her?

5. nanny chick

nanny chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    He wasn't trying to mate. My husband had to get him off the hen and there were a lot of her feathers on the ground. She is very afraid of him now. I have been picking him up and holding him. I'll try holding him upside down next time. When he was small, I would pick him up a lot. I thought that would make him tame and not be aggressive. I might be able to keep him from attacking me, but I'm worried about the two year old hen. He also doesn't like my two white chickens that are a year old. He likes the fourteen young hens that were raised with him.

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would cull. No need for that crap. There are way to many nice roosters out there to put up with that.

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Check out my page on roo behavior. the link is in my sig line.

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I know you don't want to get red of him as you said, but I think it is time for dinner, roosters are really bad when they became this way, either you eat him or bit him to teach him his lesson, so in this case I just eat him, unfortunately for me I never had a nice rooster, I ate the last one and no more roosters for my flock.

Omran

9. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    ohhh come on you guys!!! i have mean rooster who runs at me when i walk by the coop, so i go in with a stick and if he comes at me i wack him! ! Hes gorgeous so he makes up for it.

But i had a mean leghorn roo i rehomed..... couldnt deal with him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by