Fighting Roosters

newroomom

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 12, 2008
Framingham, MA
smile.png
Hello All,

Just joined BackYard Chickens as we "inherited" 3 beautiful little Bantam roosters from our yard guy. "The Boys" are delightful, funny, beautiful white with red comb and waddle (sp?). Until recently, they got along great, a few little skirmishes but nothing to worry about. Yesterday when I got home, one rooster was a little bloody around his head, but acting as he usually does. But, my favorite guy, Bart, who we thought was our alpha roo, was really beaten up, blood all over him. Took him to Tufts Veterinary teaching hospital which is very near us in Massachusetts, and he had wounds in his comb and waddle. I think the other rooster, Buddy, bit him, because Buddy used to bit me all the time, until I followed advice I found on your site. I'm not sure what to do. We sure can't afford hospitalizations regularly. All 3 roosters are pets, not for food. Should I get rid of the biter, or will the remaining 2 start to fight? If I get each guy some girls, will they fight less - or more? It was so upsetting to see our injured little guy. He's going to be fine with antibiotics and some anti-inflam for pain. But, what to do now? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.................Newroomom, Claudia

Newroomom again: Forgot to mention that the boys are about 7-8 months old. They were incubated and raised together, from what I am told. Thanks a bunch........Claudia

i'd get rid of them if their fighting that much, they'll continue so its best to end it. keep your favorite one, give them time and they should heal up, getting them some girls would cause them to fight more as then they would fight over them. i would probably separate them in cages right now, or at least. the hurt ones so they cant get even more injured.

-Daniel

oh, and Welcome to BYC :}

Last edited:
:)Thank you guys for your advice. I love all 3 roosters, but may have to rehome 1 or 2 of them. I will do as you suggest and separate them in different cages at night for now. They free-range during the day, so guess I'll keep Buddy, the biter inside the garage. I really appreciate the info, as I am totally new to having chickens. We enjoy them so much, but may have to make some hard decisions. Thanks again.........Claudia

Back
Top Bottom