Fighting?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NamahKatana, Oct 4, 2011.

1. NamahKatana

NamahKatana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    I have two Muscovy drakes that I think are fighting. They are both getting bald necks. None of my other poultry(2 other ducks and 4 hens) have it, so i'm thinking they are fighting for maybe dominance for my 2 female runners. Do you think they are fighting? Should i separate them and/or find one a new home?

2. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Yes, separate them or find one a home. I'd shoot for the latter, it can be a pain keeping them separate. Two drakes and two ducks is a really bad ratio, they will overbreed the ducks and harm them.

3. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Ok thank you. I'm going to talk to my mom about it and probably find a new home for Daisy(yes Daisy is a boy)

4. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Would Daisy be ok being in his own pen next to the others with his own house till he can be rehomed? or should i put a female in with him so he has company?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Before I rehomed one of my Muscovy drakes because I needed the room to put my duckling[4monthold drake] my adult drakes would get into it, but eventually they made a truce and just stayed away from each other. everyonce in a while they would get into it again but they never got hurt bad just some minor cuts, but your hens are the ones who will pay having only 2 hens to 2 drakes.

6. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Their necks are pretty raw from attacking each other. I'v separated Daisy and hopefully i get a call soon because i don't like keeping him in the smaller pen. I plan on getting another hen after Daisys gone hopefully i actually get a hen >.>

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope you get a call, seems most people are looking for hens, I was i just got 3 new ones for my 4 month old drake for next spring. My adult drake is 8 years old and still wants all the girls but can't keep up with the young ones any more so hopefully we'll have more peace come spring next year. [​IMG] all the best [​IMG]

8. NamahKatana

Apr 23, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Thank you. and Good luck with your flock [​IMG] I think Muscovies are the best ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by