figured out my bator problems i think....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shadowpaints, Oct 9, 2009.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    ok so i decided to make a water wiggler. after one hatch with only one live chick and one hatch with none and it looks like only 1-2 will hatch this time, i wondered what was wrong!

so i filled a baggie with warm water.. put it in the bator and wated 3 hours.. then i took one of my digital baby thermometers and took the waters temp.... the hydro/ thermometer said 101.6... the temp of the water was only 94!!!! OMG when i put the water in it was at100!! GAH! so now i think i figured out why im having such bad hatches!! gonna get more eggs on tuesday i think and try again!

2. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I noticed the same in my bator but I am affraid to up the temp any more than I already did at the start of this batch. I'm using my own eggs until I can get the kinks worked out of the bator. How long did your last batch make it before they quit?

3. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i had over 3/4 of the eggs had viening on day 8. there were some that wernt fertile and some that had blood rings sooooo, when i candled on day 15, all but 2 possibly 3 eggs have blood rings and look as tho they quit around day 10. but the remaining 2-3 are still moving so im hoping that i will have a few hatch. *sigh* these eggs were local eggs cept for the dozen silkie eggs i bought from CJ. i have one egg from CJ that is still going the others are leghorn and a RIR egg.. maybe ill get 3 chicks i hope!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by