Figured out part of intergration

luckycluk

Songster
9 Years
May 31, 2014
Salisbury/Faith
I had 2 hens that are about 2 1/2 years old and we had gotten 8 chicks from TSC ( one turned out to be a cockerel but that ok). We had ordered 6 EE’rs from another place. First group from TSC hatched 03/08. Second group we finally got after two groups DOA’s. They hatched 04/10 and finally arrived 04/13. We have given the older hens to a 94 yr old man that has a farm, he tickled other them. We had already sectioned of the main run and put a prefabed coop for the first group. We cleaned out the main coop where the hens were and moved the first group to other side of partition. We then brought the second group of 6 and put them on the other side so we have a look but don’t touch situation. I guess I will leave them like that for week or two. And then give it ago. 1st group is 10 1/2 weeks , 2cnd group is almost 6 weeks.
I noted after we moved them all and my granddaughter n I sat out and watched them that all of them were coming up to the divider checking each other out. My 14yr old granddaughter went back in to the side where the older ones were At and 3-4 of them started pecking at her legs feed n hands when she bent down. She acted scared when they did that and I tried to explain not to let them dominate you. Gently push down on top of their heads and say no firmly, then try to pet them. Why would they be acting like this
and does anyone have any suggestions on intergrating the two groups or how to nip this pecking in the bud (no pun intended ). I would be open to any suggestions, thank you

I went to store n went out to check on everyone but to my horror the all older chickens had flew over the divider and one of the your pullets was dead😢, the older ones were pecking it. My daughter found the bigger ones pecking the one. The rest of the younger group had barricaded themselves into the small coop where the older group could not get them. I am shocked that they could fly over the 5 ft divider. I feel awful🥺😢.
My daughter helped me get the older chickens back over to their side after we took a tarp and hung it up across the top of the dividerfrom side to other side and the attached it to the chicken wire the tarp is about 4 ft taller. I pray this works. I don’t believe they can fly 9 feet over it. They can still see each other but not fly over. I wish I could of seen which one started the mess. I’m worried that the integration in a week or two will not go smoothly. When chickens peck one to death do they become cannabslistic and tend to stay like that? I am so anxious about putting them together again. If I could find the post from today where someone put one bigger chicken at a time in with the smaller ones. I can’t remember exactly how they did it or who posted it. Any suggestions I’d be so grateful. I feel so bad I thought I was doing it right I feel horrible.

Don't feel horrible. They really go after a weak or helpless bird .
I diverted a possible horror myself yesterday because my hubby and I were standing there when a younger hen (that had passed the pecking order test and had been with older hens for 2 weeks )got caught in some netting I had used to keep the littles out of potential danger zone. My hubby rushed in before they were ALL going to go after her , old and young alike. It happens and sometimes we get lucky.
I integrated slowly after the see no touch since hatch method. I would stand in there and when one would attack a little I bopped her on her head ( with a hollow metal handle) or sprayed her with water and squawked at her like a mother hen would. Then took back to safety. That's if they're very mean! but remember a peck or two is acceptable to establish pecking order. They have learned now, plus don't be in a hurry to blend 2 groups the older they are the smarter and braver the littles become. It helps to have hiding places that are open on end that big birds cannot get into also.

Thank you , I think I’m going to wait awhile before trying to mix them. It is hard for me to sit out all day in the heat , im not a spring chicken lol. I’m thinking about putting the little ones on the bigger side and when I get ready do it by putting one of the bigger ones at a time, let them settle n for a week then put another one in and keep doing like that if all goes pretty good. I know there is going to be some pecking but not to the existent to draw blood. I will be so relieved when they are all settled together. They can be some mean boogers. I kinda think I have an idea which one it was because the night before she kept trying to fly up onto the divide. We are just getting around to naming them. We have the Pullet Kid Rock, my granddaughters idea.

Thank you , I think I’m going to wait awhile before trying to mix them. It is hard for me to sit out all day in the heat , im not a spring chicken lol. I’m thinking about putting the little ones on the bigger side and when I get ready do it by putting one of the bigger ones at a time, let them settle n for a week then put another one in and keep doing like that if all goes pretty good. I know there is going to be some pecking but not to the existent to draw blood. I will be so relieved when they are all settled together. They can be some mean boogers. I kinda think I have an idea which one it was because the night before she kept trying to fly up onto the divide. We are just getting around to naming them. We have the Pullet Kid Rock, my granddaughters idea.
I'm no spring chicken either! Tell granddaughter I love the name.

Back
Top Bottom