Figuring out how many and what kind

whitejerabias

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 6, 2011
Jumping into chickens next spring with my two girls. As a family of four, we go through approximately 3 dozen eggs/week. I plan to do most of the chicken rearing with my four year old DD so I need more docile breeds. I also want a nice variety and rainbow of eggs to collect. Fancy looking birds a definite plus, but the main priority is delicious, hearty eggs. I checked out the list of breeds on the main page and boy it is pretty overwhelming. Reminds me of when I started at my baby wearing board, but I mastered that language, so
fl.gif

How many hens and which breed would you go with in my situation?

Oh gosh!

You guys really eat 3 dozen eggs per week? Well, I'd recommend that you get at least 12 chickens.

3 Easter Eggers - very pretty, and they lay a nice pale green or pale blue egg

3 Welsummers - they lay a speckled darker brown egg

3 Cream Brabanter or Exchequer Leghorn for you white egg....they're both beautiful breeds

1 Barred rock for that barred look, and a nice brown egg
1 Salmon Favorelle, pretty and a nice creamy tinted egg
1 Golden Laced Wyandotte.

There are so many, but that's what I'd choose.......

Lol, yeah we've all got pretty fast metabolisms and eggs are such a great, easily digestible protein. It is me, my hubs and out two girls; Hippie, 4 years and Punk 8 mos. We do 4-6 for breakfast and Hips can put away four hard boiled eggs in one go. Punk will already eat a whole fried egg at breakfast. Yeah, we love us some eggs. We used to get automatic dairy delivery that ended last month. I cried when I had to add eggs and milk to our grocery bill every week.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check them out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom