Figuring out how many and what kind

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by whitejerabias, Dec 7, 2011.

1. whitejerabias

whitejerabias Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    Jumping into chickens next spring with my two girls. As a family of four, we go through approximately 3 dozen eggs/week. I plan to do most of the chicken rearing with my four year old DD so I need more docile breeds. I also want a nice variety and rainbow of eggs to collect. Fancy looking birds a definite plus, but the main priority is delicious, hearty eggs. I checked out the list of breeds on the main page and boy it is pretty overwhelming. Reminds me of when I started at my baby wearing board, but I mastered that language, so [​IMG]

How many hens and which breed would you go with in my situation?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh gosh!

You guys really eat 3 dozen eggs per week? Well, I'd recommend that you get at least 12 chickens.

3 Easter Eggers - very pretty, and they lay a nice pale green or pale blue egg

3 Welsummers - they lay a speckled darker brown egg

3 Cream Brabanter or Exchequer Leghorn for you white egg....they're both beautiful breeds

1 Barred rock for that barred look, and a nice brown egg
    1 Salmon Favorelle, pretty and a nice creamy tinted egg
    1 Golden Laced Wyandotte.

There are so many, but that's what I'd choose.......

3. whitejerabias

whitejerabias Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    Lol, yeah we've all got pretty fast metabolisms and eggs are such a great, easily digestible protein. It is me, my hubs and out two girls; Hippie, 4 years and Punk 8 mos. We do 4-6 for breakfast and Hips can put away four hard boiled eggs in one go. Punk will already eat a whole fried egg at breakfast. Yeah, we love us some eggs. We used to get automatic dairy delivery that ended last month. I cried when I had to add eggs and milk to our grocery bill every week.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check them out.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by