Figuring out what made my hen sick after I was gone for a month.

So my husband decided to dissect Who. What he found was a large mass on her intestines. I'm off in search of info. How the hell was she laying eggs 5-6 weeks ago is beyond me.

So my husband decided to dissect Who. What he found was a large mass on her intestines. I'm off in search of info. How the hell was she laying eggs 5-6 weeks ago is beyond me.
Did you get any pictures? Cancer is common in chickens, and there are several types. Some caused by viruses.

Did you get any pictures? Cancer is common in chickens, and there are several types. Some caused by viruses.
He did not take pics. However, after some looking around he believes it was olvarian cancer. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find info about how aggressive the cancer tends to be. Or how long from the time they develop the cancer until they become symptomatic.

Chicken illness is a challenge for me. I don't have enough experience to know always know if something is normal or not. Losing feathers. Molting or symptom? Chicken goes on the roost earlier than the others. Just calling dibs on her spot or is something wrong? And for all the info that's available... I think a lot of this stuff requires experience.

Thank you all for the condolences, support, and the sharing of your knowledge. Hopefully I won't need y'alls medical advice for a good long while.

Back
Top Bottom