1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

filing spurs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenphile, Jul 6, 2008.

1. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    How many of you file your rooster's spurs? Is it hard to do? Does it hurt them?
    thanks
    Chris

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I use a battery operated dremal tool found at WAL/$20. with the sandpapper round. It has a slow setting that works good for spurs or toenails, even beaks. That is what some Vet offices use....Other times I will despur them. If you have some blood clotting powder than you can squeeze in the middle of the spur with wide pliers and it will pop right off, it will bleed ,so use the powder. What is left is a soft quick, that can be filed down after a few days, little at a time.

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    The best, and longest lasting method for dealing with spurs is to cut them. You can see detailed information on how to do this on my site HERE . Good luck!

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    If you simply want to remove the tips of the spurs (don't have 3" `sabres' that parry, clicking, as the guy trots along), heavy grit emery boards will round away the fearsome business ends pretty quickly (will be able to whack away at your mudboots but won't puncture them). If more is required then the above posts cover those situations.

Doesn't hurt `em.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I cut the tips off with a dremel, then file the edges.

6. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I use an electric dremel. It gets the job done and there is no bleeding.

7. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    Thanks to all. It looks like his spurs are about two inches long. I have one of those tools but was unsure of how far to cut down. thanks for the website link CUDA that really helped.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by