filler for spaces in coop

sueche

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
Raleigh NC
lets just get it out there...I have no building skills, and neither does my husband. So I tried to make a nesting box ( i thought it would be easy) but apparently I cannot draw or cut a straight line. The box is not have tight, or closed sides. One side has a about a half an inch space
barnie.gif

Is there a filler i can use to close the gaps. I thought of spray foam, but that's probably toxic. I just want to plug it up with something.....

any suggestions will be a huge help.

cackydoodledoo

Songster
9 Years
Jan 7, 2011
Crazyville, USA
Is the nesting box being placed inside the coop? If so then I wouldn't worry about the small gap. Don't think it will make a difference as they are just laying an egg in there and that's all.

elmo

Crowing
11 Years
May 23, 2009
DFW
I agree with the previous poster; people use things like plastic milk crates for their nestboxes. "Holey" isn't a problem. If the edges of the wood on your box are splintery, I'd sand it down, though.

Nestboxes can be pretty much anything. I use lidded plastic totes and a covered kitty litter box.

teach1rusl

Love My Chickens
10 Years
Jul 28, 2009
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Quote:
Totally agree! Some folks even use old milk crates for nesting boxes. As long as the gaps aren't big enough for an egg to roll through, your birds won't give a cluck how it looks.
tongue.png

buckabucka

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 13, 2010
Fairfield, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Putty and paint make the carpenter what he ain't!
big_smile.png

I'm sure it will be fine. If it really bothers you, cram some shingle pieces in the crack.

At least you are trying to build things! I can't say the same for myself, as DH is a professional.

Top Bottom