Final brief question before I set my eggs.

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm going to set my eggs tomorrow. I will be setting between 35-38 and due to the weather I'm not sure what to expect on fertility. My incubator is assembled and I had two quick things to tie up.

1) My incubator fired up, warmed up to 99.5 degrees in about 30 minutes. Should I leave it running until I set my eggs tomorrow or is it okay to turn it off until then?

and if you have a HovaBator 1588 Genesis...

2) Do you fill up both water reservoirs or just the one in the middle? How often on average do you need to refill the water? (sort of hard to see with eggs/turner over the top)

Thanks again.

I would keep it running, especially since you've got it pretty spot-on. You might need to check it to make sure there are no spikes or drops in temperature.

Just fill one reservoir. I would fill the smaller one. I would add water every 3-5 days. Do you have a hygrometer? If you do, just add water when the humidity dips dramatically.

I am setting eggs tomorrow too! Very Exciting. I let the incubator run 24 hours, just to get the temp nice and steady. I fill up both reservoirs, just because it seems you have to refill less often and I didn't notice any difference in the amount of humidity. You can get a pretty inexpensive hygrometer at the pet stores, sold for iguana and lizard tanks. That's what mine is, and it made a huge difference having one. Good luck on your hatch!

You should leave your bator running till tomorrow just to make sure it's going to maintain a steady temp overnight and stuff. I have a Hova-Bator Genesis too. You should fill up the reservoir in the very middle for the first 18 days then both for the rest. Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom