Final Necropsy results

carousel

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 31, 2008
NW Oregon
It took me awhile to get the final necropsy results on my BLRW McMurray chicks that were sick.
Hatch date 2-23-08

# of birds tested/sent for necropsy.

*We euthainzed and sent in the worst chick. 2 other chicks were held at the vet to see how they would recover - news to me today! they are now home very much alive

How they were stored prior or if live chicks were sacrificed (as post postmortem, a lot of tissues begin to degrade and causes can be lost).

*The chick was observed alive then euthanized by the vet

What lab did the testing.

* Dr Litner at the Avian Medical Center and
Amazon Veterinary Diagnostics Madeline Rae DVM. MS - Dipliomate, AmericanBoard of Veterinary Practitioners (Avian Practice) - Salem Oregon

What they found.
Suspicious of Avian Encephalomyelitis (AE) virus infection.

There were additional tests that could have been done but didn't in an effort to help save me some money felt confident in the dx of AE given symptoms, tissue that was examined. It seems as if they were also able to confirm through other sources that McMurray was having a problem or had had a problem with AE - I Don't have this in writing this is what the vet told me.

What if any advice you were given in the care or outcome of the chicks you still have, and who that came from.

*The chicks worst effected may end up blind in the future.
*They did a rule out for Mareks - it was not Mareks

CS

Thanks for the report.

I am sorry you had to go through this.
sad.png

Thanks,
such is life,
the 2 chicks are home from the vet, they seem okay enough. I'm not sure about the one, but I just could not see bringing one home and not the other.

at least I know I was not crazy, at least I know it was out of my control, and I didn't do anything to cause what happened, and at least I know my chicks that made it through great, will not have an future problems. Jury will be out on the 2 that came back from the vet.
I will contact McMurray on Monday.
CS

Back
Top Bottom