Finally!! 1st Egg! - update.. She was sneaky!

thegoldengirls

Songster
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
Central NY
Yippee!!
ya.gif

My female Khaki Campbell finally started laying!
She was a May 21st hatch, so she's almost 7 months old and I was starting to get worried. She laid her first perfect little white egg Thursday morning, and another yesterday. Hopefully, there will be one there today too. My kids are not real happy that I'm taking them, but I really don't have a good setup for her to hatch yet. However, I have to admit that I can't wait til spring to see what kind of mama she'll be.

Last edited:
Yippee!!
ya.gif

My female Khaki Campbell finally started laying!
She was a May 21st hatch, so she's almost 7 months old and I was starting to get worried. She laid her first perfect little white egg Thursday morning, and another yesterday. Hopefully, there will be one there today too. My kids are not real happy that I'm taking them, but I really don't have a good setup for her to hatch yet. However, I have to admit that I can't wait til spring to see what kind of mama she'll be.

Congrats gg, That first duck egg is amazing. They are good to eat since your not going to let mama sit yet. Since i have Muscovy I have to wait till March to have a duck egg. Thank goodness some of my chickens are still laying.

Last edited:
Congrats!
It seems like after 6 months, my campbells are starting to kick into production too! I've been getting an egg a day for a couple weeks from my daughter's pet duck (she found true love with a rouen drake, and is now happy enough to lay) and I've started getting a second egg, one thursday, rested on friday, and another today. I suspect either my summer baby campbells, or the orpington has finally decided to start paying rent. I'll check their feet next week and figure out who the likely candidate is doing her part.

Congrats!
It seems like after 6 months, my campbells are starting to kick into production too! I've been getting an egg a day for a couple weeks from my daughter's pet duck (she found true love with a rouen drake, and is now happy enough to lay) and I've started getting a second egg, one thursday, rested on friday, and another today. I suspect either my summer baby campbells, or the orpington has finally decided to start paying rent. I'll check their feet next week and figure out who the likely candidate is doing her part.

Hey dusky beauty! are your welsh laying yet? my drake started showing interest, but no eggs (sorry off topic!)

Hey dusky beauty! are your welsh laying yet? my drake started showing interest, but no eggs (sorry off topic!)

Not at all off topic DG!
My welshies are 1 and 2 months younger than my campbells, My first one should kick in the same time as the layer hybrids, and then my last two the month after. I've still got a pair of swede drakes "mixing it up" on the singles scene that haven't made it to the block yet. It's like a swingers resort when they get out of the pen... only my youngest girls and the gander aren't in on the shenanigans. They're all getting into the in ground pool now that there's no chemicals in it for winter... I'm going to have to drain that thing come spring...

Seems she's been sneaky. I was cleaning up in barn today and heard something roll behind the feed can. Turns out she found a spot she liked near the bottom of the hay.
This is what I found...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/6068451/width/400/flags/LL

This is Sugar...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/image/id/6068452/width/400/flags/LL

These plus the two in the frig mean she's been laying for a week.
We've now let her get back to her spot to make her happy... even though we're taking them right now.
I can't wait til spring!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom