1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

finally a broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grass, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Grass

Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Salem,Ohio
    i did manage to get a hen to go broody ....leaving 15 eggs in that nest when the was all sharing worked....i have one hen that took over the duties. she even growls at ya when you put your hand down to her .but she will still let you pet her..thank goodness someone here told me to mark the eggs...the wife pulled all the extras that were layed there till that hen finally tookover....i knew eventally i could get one to go broody..just by the way they was acting when they was sharing the nestbox...got my fingers crossed we get some chicks in couple weeks. i was amazed it was like every hen i had started laying in that same box...was always one sitting there allday and allnight...finally the one just took to staying there herself.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congratulations!

Have fun with your broody! [​IMG]

~Rio

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

You cam also move the broody and her eggs at night to a dog crate to keep them others from laying more eggs in there. This way you do not have to bother her and risk the chance that she will leave the nest.

5. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:I agree. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by