Finally a dry chicken pen!

Pics
am just reliving my own horrors
I hear you!! My horror was 2 years ago when I had a muuuuuuuuuuch bigger run (but not predator proof) and an ice storm took down the enclosure. It was covered only with bird netting at the time, and the bird netting got so iced over that the weight broke posts!! And my husband was out of town at the time! Yes, we all have some horror stories.

View attachment 1985829 I’ve been fighting a wet soggy pen for quite some time now. The chickens didn’t seem to be bothered, but feeding them and changing water was miserable. So I decided to wrap the enclosure with thick plastic and it seems to be doing the trick. Yes there are areas of ventilation you just can’t see them in the picture. My coop is on a hill so there is a open section underneath where the chickens normally congregate on rainy days to stay dry. This is much better so now they have more room to scratch around. I’m pretty happy with it and now have plans to construct an actual greenhouse that they can winter in. This will do for now.
Cool!!!

I've got a 10 x 12 Run in Northern Minnesota. We get our share of snow. I did the covered Run bit right away after some BYC research. Currogated tin roof. I learned how much chickens don't wear snow shoes and cross country skis and dislike snow altogether. Haha.

Anyways my construction skills are less than professional but with 2 x 4 construction it's still holding after 7 years. The roof. I'm sure there's a bow here and there. In the Run is a mix of Oak leaves (about 12 inches which gets mashed down pretty fast. I also mix in a straw bale for foot care. Provide wide roosts for warming and rooster chases. Dusting tub of ash and sand mixed. and extra bales of straw for more setting spots.
I probably remove that litter every two years. But I did do a yearly clean this year and last. (less wheel barrows on that second year)

New this year are clear green house tarp and these bungi bobble things to tie it to the frame. Wow. It was up in no time and will be easy to take down this spring too. No nails and lath and worrying about dropping nails for flat tires and poking chicken feet. So far so good.

927905FF-860D-45C6-A8EA-A565F5407A59.jpeg

CDF6E128-0280-469D-97BB-3EFF623C5ACF.jpeg
31BC501B-DC13-4D48-B0F1-F5F71FA58508.jpeg

Would you share a photo by chance? I would love to see as we need to do this too.

Of course! Note that it's a real redneck operation. :) Lack of local resources (like no lumber yard, which means no framing and no additional plywood for the sides) made it as not-fancy as I would like it. But it's very functional and I love it.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    589.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3663.JPG
    IMG_3663.JPG
    708 KB · Views: 15
yes that definetly works, I bet the snow just slides right off the curved top! and looks easy to plop right over a coop too! now im getting ideas!

Of course! Note that it's a real redneck operation. :) Lack of local resources (like no lumber yard, which means no framing and no additional plywood for the sides) made it as not-fancy as I would like it. But it's very functional and I love it.

Just watch out for snow and rain caving in the top with the plastic up there. Dont ask me how i know.....
I won't ask cuz I've been there I replace the netting with chicken wire input heavy duty plastic layer there and then put a layer of chicken netting over the tarp I made sure to leave a runoff over the edge of the plastic on the side so that it didn't cave it's also great if you want to use it to water the birds with the runoff

Back
Top Bottom