Finally, a GOOD hatchery experience!

Lol Speckled! They are a family run business and the owners are a bit older (late 60s maybe?) so that might account for the spelling. It was funny and heart warming when I called to place my order with them, and the gentleman that answer the phone said "Orderin, eh? Let me give ya over to my old lady. I gotta hatch ta pull." !!
lol.png
I liked the 'real' family "feel" to the whole experience I guess.

I know what you mean about the old timers, LOL! It's just a pet peeve of mine. I detest to see misspelled words on professionally made billboards on the freeway and the like. Like one near me that has land for sale and says this:

"ONE ACRE TRACKS" instead of "tracts"

Now, I want to see the animal that made those, LOL!

Hey, wait a minute! Old timers? I'm 50 myself! :|

Last edited:
This is my first year with chicks. I ordered 5 different breeds from McMurray. They do have a great selection. I ordered online and the available dates were early March or late May. I didn't want them that late, as It gets to be gardening time, but early March wasn't too great either. I decided on March. They ship on a Saturday, and I didn't get them until Tuesday. Unfortunately, Monday night had been brutally cold and most had persihed when I picked them up. Out of my 26 plus the freebie, only 3 were alive, and 1 of those died the next day. I feel bad because it really was my fault. The packing box didn't have any styrofoam though. They did replace my order, which I held off to the First week of April. I still didn't get them until Tuesday, with 3 dead, possibly smothered. Some have died since. I really like their selection, but I don't know if I will order from them again, unless I can get faster shipping. 3 days is hard on those chicks.

I researched online many hatcheries and decide to go with Meyer Hatchery and they put a heating pad in the bottom of the box and I was able to order the number of chicks I wanted and not 25...........and I have had 100% survivial rate and they did come a day early than expected..........So I do recommened them

I also really like MM's selection, but I ALSO heard that the only reason they have that huge selection is because they buy them from other hatcheries, which is also why it sometimes takes a few days for people to get their chicks, because not all the chicks are theirs and THEY have to wait to get them. I REALLY hope thats not true, but I kinda have inside info...
roll.png

I am soooo sorry about your bad experience. Its not really your fault though. I ordered MY chicks in early March and they all survived (minus 1 due to shipping and 2 later on that I culled due to health problems) because the hatchery I ordered from saw the weather report for my area and packed them accordingly to keep them warm. Its not a hard thing to do, and MM should be doing it too, IMHO.

OMG i ordered 25 chicks from mcmurray, i bet since it is warmer now usually around 40-60 that they will be ok, but i have had many friend order chicks on in the winter, found 6! dead chicks, but they sent 5 extra so that showed somthing, the otheres were ordered in the spring/summer and they were all fine, AND they all had 1-3 extra, i hope mine are more like that then the ones you described :|
sad.png
:eek:
hmm.png

I guess I have been very, very fortunate.
I got my first batch of chicks (26) from MM and all arrived safe and sound in a box that was lined with styrofoam on February 23rd (temps in 30s).
One chick, an ameraucana, was lost a week later due to reaction to Marek's vaccination.
Then, this last Friday, I picked up my order of 11 from Ideal Hatchery. All are fine, including the additional 9
ep.gif
they enclosed for warmth.
The temps have been around mid 40s.
So far, I am having a problem with only one chick, I believe she's a Specked Sussex, who doesn't want to eat and seems smaller than her sisters (and possibly 9 brothers
barnie.gif
).
All in all, I have to say I had nothing but positive experiences with each of these hatcheries.
I like to hear of everyone elses good experiences and the names of these smaller hatcheries in case I get the gottagettanuttachicken fever again...
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom