Finally a Homesteader!

Congrats! Whatre your plans for your homestead? My main piece of advice would be to start different species of animals one year at a time. I know the instinct is to collect them all and have a big animal menagerie right away, but that creates problems. Each animal has specific needs for each season. Growing slowly with a steady base lays a solid foundation :)

Whatre you guys doing after chickens?!
I'm fully behind your advice, for sure! I'll be plenty busy with the high tunnel and another large garden, plus the chickens! But excited none the less. We talked about pygmy goats, but definitely not this year and probably not next either. I'm actually leaning more towards hogs in the future, but we will see. Thank you for the advice!

Chicks arrive this week! This is a photo of my in the house brooder set-up so far. We will be roughing it in here for a few weeks. There is a mesh top that zippers on that I'll add in a couple of days, before they get too adventurous! I also have a little roost bar that should be here on a couple of days. These are the breeds that are coming.
  • Black Australorp Female
  • Red Star Female
  • RHODE ISLAND RED Female
  • Whiting True Blue Female
  • Whiting True Green Female
  • Bielefelder - Male

Attachments

• 20230307_003556.jpg
    20230307_003556.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230307_002915.jpg
    20230307_002915.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 2
Chicks arrive this week! This is a photo of my in the house brooder set-up so far. We will be roughing it in here for a few weeks. There is a mesh top that zippers on that I'll add in a couple of days, before they get too adventurous! I also have a little roost bar that should be here on a couple of days. These are the breeds that are coming.
  • Red Star Female
  • Bielefelder - Male
That's a good setup. If you already have their coop, you can brood them outside as soon as you want using that brooder plate.
To free up floor space and keep the water clean and the bedding dry, consider making a baby bottle to suspend on a chain.
babies using bottle.jpg
baby bottle close up.png

It's easy to make from a vertical poultry nipple readily found at farm supply stores and an old sports bottle that you can get from a thrift store for less than a dollar. Look for one with a screw on cap with a flip top and handle. The handle is for the S-hook and the flip top is for venting so the bottle doesn't pull vacuum when used.

That's a good setup. If you already have their coop, you can brood them outside as soon as you want using that brooder plate.
To free up floor space and keep the water clean and the bedding dry, consider making a baby bottle to suspend on a chain.
View attachment 3424359View attachment 3424360

It's easy to make from a vertical poultry nipple readily found at farm supply stores and an old sports bottle that you can get from a thrift store for less than a dollar. Look for one with a screw on cap with a flip top and handle. The handle is for the S-hook and the flip top is for venting so the bottle doesn't pull vacuum when used.
Ooh! I like that! I actually have the Rent-a-Coop nipple waterer, but felt it was too big for the brooder. I'm going to do this! Thank you!

• Red Star Female
  • Bielefelder - Male
What brand of pop up brood is that?

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies! I always check in the "What's New" section as well at the top of this page. This way I can read how I may have a similar question or help give some advice.

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies! I always check in the "What's New" section as well at the top of this page. This way I can read how I may have a similar question or help give some advice.
Thank you, there is a lot of great info here, and I have definitely been spending a lot of time here already. I want to be a good steward and learn a lot.Thank you for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom