1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally, at about 10 months old an EGG!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KristyAz, Dec 14, 2011.

1. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I had a huge (58grams), gorgeous blue egg the other day. It was so big and blue my first thought was that it was my black Americauna, even though she is a few months younger than my EE and both hadn't started laying yet. This egg was just too large and blue to be from an Ideal Hatchery EE! But today, I saw my EE girl Nina go into the nest box. I kept an eye on things and as soon as she came out, I ran out to see what we have, and to my surprise that big beautiful robins egg blue egg is from an Easter Egger! Wow. I tried to get pictures, but the color just doesn't show.

2. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Congratulations! I was excited to get blue or blue/green eggs from all of my EE's. Now I can't wait to see what the eggs from your Ameraucana look like!

3. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Congrats on the egg, we have one EE that lays pretty blue eggs too [​IMG]

4. sj3364

sj3364 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Congratulations! I got my first pretty blue/green egg from my 27 wk old EE yesterday.

I have 2 BOs who are 37 weeks old and have show no signs of laying. Your story give me hope they will one day lay.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't know why you would have the impression that you couldn't get a nice blue egg from an Ideal EE. I had an EE (killed by a hawk) from Ideal that laid a nice big blue egg. What I find even more interesting is that her daughter - sired by an Ideal turken - lays an olive green egg, also large.

Anyhow, congrats on the egg. [​IMG]

6. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Congratulations! So, I guess there is still hope for me that my 8 month old EE might lay an egg some day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by