Finally BAck in the Chicken Keeping Scene

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Habibs Hens, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    Hi Guys,

Been a on looker chicken keeper almost 20 years ago when my dad kept them, but was a very avid keeper and learnt loads from him.

I reckon i have had every UK Common chicken bread in my garden at some point in the time my dad used to keep chicken

There where times when i had over 100 chicken at a time and proberly atleast 1000 different chickens throughout the time my dad kept them

He gave up due to his illness to his reluctancy and i was quite young then to carry on so they all went to my dads mates farm where most of them came from to start with

Now i have decided to start again but with more enthusiam then before

It started when i went to visit a mate and heard clucking and got excited and asked him and yes he had chickens, we then spoke for hours about it and he agreed to gimme some of his offsping from his current incubation batch

On the hatch day he invited me and my kids over to watch [28/MAR/2012] so we did and my kids loved the chicks and then he asked my kids how would they like to take some adults home today

I was well excited and so where they, so we went to his garden where he has a good 15 adults and he asked my kids to choose, so my daughter chose which i beleive to be either a Nortampton Red or a Buff Orpington. she named her Rosey and she lays lovey brown speckled eggs every 3 ish days at 68grams an egg :)

My son chose what i beleive to be a speckled Sussex which he named Dora and she lays ever other day slightly smaller brown eggs

The Next day i already had an order for 3 chickens 18 weeks old and they arrived safly from Wigits Farm they are 3 Columbian Black Tails (Yet to be named by my eldest son)

I have Since Purchased a Brinsea Mini Advance Incubater and starter kit which is being preperared and runn over this weekend ready for a delivery of 6 Brown and Cookoo Orpington Hatching Eggs which i am very excited to hatch and get loads of help from here please

I have a large 2 story coop which i adapted from a rabit hutch and made a next box on the side of, and ordered some galv mesh sheets to make a large run for them

i have another 2 story rabbit hutch wheich i need to pickup from dads garden which i will also adapt into a chicken coop in the next few weeks

I hope thats enough info about me and my chicken and hope to get along well here and get and give loads of advise

Thanks

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG]

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

The Easter hatch is in it's final week, check out the link in my signature and you will get lots of good incubation/hatching information - there are several really good links on page 1.

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by