Finally decided to rebuild my temporary coop.

Jusbkauz

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 1, 2014
After a lot of research i decided to build a pallet coop, or mostly pallets. Its 8'x8' and 2' off the ground at tge lowest corner. Its actually bigger than my current needs but will allow for more hens if needed. Not sure but i think it's enough room for 20 chickens. I have no set plans just ideas as i go. The project is going slow because of time and all of the rain here lately.

Little progress made. Once I layed the boards out there didn't seem to be much head room underneath, I think I'm going to raise the floor up a little before I attach the boards.

Little progress made. Once I layed the boards out there didn't seem to be much head room underneath, I think I'm going to raise the floor up a little before I attach the boards.

Good idea...2 ft is enough for birds, but you may have to crawl under there to retrieve eggs or injured or broody bird.
Make sure you leave enough head room in the coop for you to walk in tho.

Good idea...2 ft is enough for birds, but you may have to crawl under there to retrieve eggs or injured or broody bird.
[/quote]

Hmmm. Now that's something I have not thought about, actually getting in there. I was thinking I would be able to reach everything from the ground. That's a good idea though.

Hmmm. Now that's something I have not thought about, actually getting in there. I was thinking I would be able to reach everything from the ground. That's a good idea though.[/QUOTE]
4 feet is a long way to reach, without putting a hand down.
I am no longer nimble (knees are seriously shot) so want to be able to easily reach any bird at any time I might need to lay hands on it.
When I inspect, and treat if needed, the birds I grab them off the roosts at night...it takes two hands, so I need to be standing to do so.
Many folks don't think about maintenance and care when building a coop, but a roomy walk in coop is the only way I could handle the jobs.

Last edited:
Finally raised the floor about 8 inches.

Trying to decide which route will be best for the walls. They will be a pallet and a half high in the front and a single pallet in the back.

Well as you can see this project is going a little slower than anticipated. Here are a few more pictures.

4 feet is a long way to reach, without putting a hand down.
I am no longer nimble (knees are seriously shot) so want to be able to easily reach any bird at any time I might need to lay hands on it.
When I inspect, and treat if needed, the birds I grab them off the roosts at night...it takes two hands, so I need to be standing to do so.
Many folks don't think about maintenance and care when building a coop, but a roomy walk in coop is the only way I could handle the jobs.

I am so glad for this suggestion so I braced the floor just to be sure and will be adding a door for going in and out.

Back
Top Bottom