Finally done enough to move the chickens in (pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by turbokev, Jun 24, 2010.

1. turbokev

turbokev Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    NH
    I started this coop Memorial Day weekend and worked a few hours at a time as often as I could..
    Took till tonight to get it 'done enough' for the chicks to move in full time.
    I'm not sure the coop will ever get 'done' as I still have plenty I want to do..
    PVC feeder and waterer, another couple inches of sand in the run, paint the door, install the dropping board,
    make a better egg box roof that isn't warped already, exterior landscaping with crushed rock over hardware cloth
    to prevent tunneling, etc etc...

The chicks have been going out in the run part for almost 2 weeks now and coming back in to the kitchen 'mini coop' every night at dusk..
    Tonight is the first overnight stay in the coop.. I'll kinda miss the little chirping noises while we are watching TV~

Here's some pics of where we are at~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took this one earlier in the day after I put 2 of the larger apple tree branches in that I had left over from cutting the tree down to build the run.
    The chickens jump up and down on this thing all day~

[​IMG]

Well thats it.. our first attempt in to the world of chicken housing and care.

I can't thank the members of this site enough for all the information and inspiration I've found here.
    I incorporated lots of ideas (and additions to come) from different setups I found on this site..

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Wow, I REALLY like it. The run looks superb. Very sturdy and predator proof. Great job. Love the color too.

3. Sc00ter4900

Sc00ter4900 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Wow thats really good . Congrats on the coop your girls will like it a lot I'm sure [​IMG]

Scotty

4. admhotel

admhotel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Rome, Ny
    [​IMG] Congrats, your coop looks great!
    I just hope when I build my run it looks as good as yours [​IMG]

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Good for you. It's such a labor of love. You should be very proud of your great effort. Beautiful chickens!

6. TGreenhut

TGreenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Northern, CA
    [​IMG] Looks really nice! How old are the chickens? (Just curious)

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    [​IMG] You did a beautiful job! Love the run.. Looks super secure. [​IMG]

8. turbokev

turbokev Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    NH
    Thanks ~

I've taken some chiding from the neighbors (and to some degree my wife) for "overkill"..

One neighbor literally laughed out loud when he came out back and saw it.. Through his teared laughter he said "They're CHICKENS.. not bears.. hahahahahahahahahah" or somethign to that effect [​IMG]

Whatever, I'd rather build it nice once than have to rebuild it due to under engineering for snow, wind, kids etc..

The chickens seem to be pretty happy with it.. they are running up and down the ramp into the coop and out again.
    Their first night was fine.. I snuck out at 11pm with a flashlight for a peek and the 2 black Cochins, and 2 Brahmas were huddled together in front of the concrete blocks, and the other 4 were up on the roost.
    This morning when I went out, a Cochin and a couple Brahmas were up on the roost looking out the window at me, so I'm pretty certain they all are getting up and down with no problem.

TGreenhut, we got the chickens May 14th.. so if they were a week to 10 days old then, they are probably close to 60 days now?
    They are really well feathered and the low temps are in the mid 50's right now.. They seem fine out there.

9. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:Yeah, I get those kinda comments from "non chicken" people. It's aggravating. I have 5 coops (5 different flocks) and they all have their own fenced in yards. The four bantam yards (1 duck and 3 chicken) all have netting over the top. The big duck and chicken yards do not have netting over the top. I usually get comments like "jeez, I can't believe all the yards you have out here (which I believe translates to "what are you crazy? why do you need all these chickens?)" and "they're only chickens, why would you do all this work?" (which I assume really means "why did you spend all that money on CHICKENS??). etc. etc.

I feel if I'm going to have animals I'm also going to take care of them which means safe predator proof housing and safe fenced yards. Oh and I'd also like them to look good too. To me it's a no-brainer. Sometimes I think people forget the old saying, "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all."

I'm a little irritated right now because we're having a fourth of july party at my house this year and many of the people coming haven't been over since I added all the additional yards. I know I'm just getting on the defensive preparing for the "what the heck?" kinda comments. I'm trying to prepare myself to NOT be so defensive [​IMG] (but man, is it hard!)

Sorry, didn't mean to rant so much and take away from your thread [​IMG]

Anyhoo, I think you did a great job. It's attractive, predator proof and you enjoy it. The chickens are safe and you are happy with it. That's all that really matters right? (that's what I keep telling MYSELF anyway [​IMG] )

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by