Finally...easier cleaning of the chicken house

That roost bar is crazy high! You risk bumblefoot infections and possible leg injuries if they are jumping down from that high everyday.

How far is it from the roost bar to the far wall? What kind of chickens?

If the chickens fly down at an angle they could be fine. (That requires enough space, and chickens that fly reasonably well.)

A funny thing I've noticed: when a roost is 2 feet up, chickens seem to just jump down without using their wings. When it's very high, they KNOW to use their wings, and often land more gently.

How far is it from the roost bar to the far wall? What kind of chickens?

If the chickens fly down at an angle they could be fine. (That requires enough space, and chickens that fly reasonably well.)

A funny thing I've noticed: when a roost is 2 feet up, chickens seem to just jump down without using their wings. When it's very high, they KNOW to use their wings, and often land more gently.
About six or seven feet. There are nests on the opposite wall. It might be a little cramped for them to fly down. If someone doesn't get out there early enough they are often all on the floor when I open the door to the chicken house. They are shut up for their protection at night. Had to get rid of nineteen racoons so far this season.

They are white leghorns. It is a full chicken house this time. One rooster and 21 hens.

A few months ago I removed the poop boards. They were too narrow 14". And to close to the wall and ceiling. they got pretty messy. I lowered the roosts a bit and moved in a little. and just let the poop mix with pine shavings. Cleaning out this week. Will add to run and put a fresh bale in the coop. The lower roosts allow the herbs thi just jump down. They are about 18 "high. So far this is working.

At some point

I wish I would have done this years ago. I got this idea to put a shelf underneath the main roost and put plastic trays lined with paper. It catches nearly all the poop and makes cleaning the coop so much easier. I like sand on the floor of my chicken house and now it mostly stays there so I do not have to replace sand hardly at all. The floor area stays so much cleaner.

View attachment 2321864

View attachment 2321876
I like your idea except your roost is exceptionally high for my chickens to use but if it works for your birds that is all that matters. I have large breed birds and them getting up that high every night would be risky. They like to sleep huddled all together and they wouldn’t be able to do that on this type of perch. Our roost boards are one in front and one in back with a lower support beam just below in case one falls through for extra support. Yes I am a control freak or umbrella Mama! Lol! Then I have poop boards underneath covered with linoleum. I have a pic of them on roost board I can attach with them at 13 weeks.

Attachments

• DEFA5FFF-E236-4F5D-A47D-D20A1068D866.jpeg
    DEFA5FFF-E236-4F5D-A47D-D20A1068D866.jpeg
    511.5 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom