Finally finished on the outside!

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
A few months ago I posted the coop completely built but it lacked a paint job to protect the untreated rough cut lumber from the elements. So here it is! It's not the prettiest as I didn't take my time quite like I would painting a room in the house. But it's a chicken coop. I got the cheapest paint I could find which was 14 bucks a gallon(only sold in gallons). It's the glidden grab n go premixed barn red and white fence paint. For my 6x8 rough cut coop it took 1.5 gallons of red and about a quart of white. I'll use the leftover paint next year for touch up after the winter and it should seal up the wood pretty good.

On another note, some paint drippings landed on the ground and a couple of my birds got curious about it. On their combs, wattles and a few feathers and maybe pecked at it. Will it hurt them? Not like I gave them a gallon to drink.

Attachments

• 20210913_135534.jpg
    20210913_135534.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210913_135123.jpg
    20210913_135123.jpg
    763.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210913_135108.jpg
    20210913_135108.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I love barn paint. It does a wonderful job at protecting wood and I'm fond of the classic red and white scheme.
I'm very fond of it myself. Classic and timeless. To my understanding it derives from the idea of flour paint that originates from Sweden. They were easily able to add red pigment to their paint.

On another note, some paint drippings landed on the ground and a couple of my birds got curious about it. On their combs, wattles and a few feathers and maybe pecked at it. Will it hurt them? Not like I gave them a gallon to drink.
Don't know about liquid paint being ingested but dried paint flakes shouldn't be an issue in most cases (not like you're using lead based paint here).

Don't know about liquid paint being ingested but dried paint flakes shouldn't be an issue in most cases (not like you're using lead based paint here).
I can't imagine it would be an issue either as everything is water based now. But as I was painting some pripped off my brush and on the ground when I was on the roof painting the high side facia board. They then came over to inspect possibly ingested some and got some on them.

Back
Top Bottom