Finally finished the inside of my new coop!!!! YAY!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by valerieb, Sep 9, 2009.

1. valerieb

valerieb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Richwoods, Missouri
    My father in law gave me this 8 x 10 building. It was covered in particle board and it was filled several inches deep of rat poop. When I tore the ceiling board off there was another several inches of rat poop and it was infested with silverfish. It was DISGUSTING. I wish I would have taken a picture of it then. I stripped it down to just the frame with help from DH and sons. We then put up plywood inside and out. We insulated and put 1/8 wire inside the walls and ceiling plywood to deter snakes, large insects and rodents. We put in 4 roosts with a table between the top two and bottom two with trays under all to collect poo. We put in two rows of nesting boxes and a brooder box. We still have to finish the outside of the building with metal siding so I didn't include those pictures yet. We also plan to add a run off the back. We free range the bigger birds but will keep the younger ones in the run until they get older.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    All that in 8 x 10? I'm jealous! I need to work on redesigning the interior of mine. And I love the wallpaper border!!! And so glad you didn't take pics of the silverfish!!

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Wow, you did a great job!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    [​IMG] LUCKY! aha I wish mine looked that good!

5. valerieb

valerieb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Richwoods, Missouri
    Thanks! We tried to maximize space. We made the brooder box hang on two bolts so that we can just lift it off and take it out when we don't need it. That will open up space because we will only use the brooder box maybe for a couple more weeks and then we won't be needing it for awhile. I used high gloss paint on the whole thing so it will be easy to wipe off and caulked every nook, crack and cranny so I won't get any poo inbedded anywhere. It is my first coop so I am sure I will find things I would have done differently. I am sooooo excited that it is finally done!

6. chaoschicken

chaoschicken Cackleberry Crazy

Jun 23, 2009
    Washington State
    Looks great.

[​IMG]

7. jus1jack

jus1jack Critically Endangered

Mar 30, 2009
    Orlando
    Wow!!! Talk aboth the Chicken Tashma Hall. Really nice job. Like the border paper too. [​IMG]

8. helloroe

helloroe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Cetral FL
    That is great! I love how simple it is. Nothing not needed and looks so easy to clean.

9. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Wow, that looks great [​IMG] You never would have guessed it was a rat dumping ground [​IMG]

10. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    really really nice . . . now it can hold chicken poop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by