1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Finally got a username

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ZakFriedman, Nov 5, 2015.

1. ZakFriedman

ZakFriedman New Egg

Nov 5, 2015
    Davis, CA
    Hey, I'm Zak and I've been reading this site for a couple years, but never bothered getting a membership before. I currently have eight chickens (two RIR, two barred rocks, an Easter Egger, a Buff Orpington, and two Wyandotts). They all just turned two. They used to have acres to roam, but now they're in a small backyard coop so I've been sprouting wheatgrass to supplement their diet. I can let the Reds and the Orpington out of their coop since they're easy to catch if they go in the garden. I love all my cluck-ups (except Duckie, she pecks).

2. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

Hello Zak!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.:frow

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Zak, hope you enjoy BYC as much as we do.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Zak

Glad you could join the flock! Many of us were lurkers before joining. I was one too for a couple of years!! That's some lovely breeds you have there, I've never grown sprouting wheat grass before but I bet your girls appreciate it very much.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Welcome, so glad you decided to join us.

[​IMG]

I would love to see how you do the wheatgrass sprouting, and especially how your flock are given access to it. I once tried sprouting in water, placed the sprouts in the run and my gals were "Chicken" and wouldn't even approach it. But they were younger then and now are "mature" 2 year olds and somewhat bolder in exploring new frontiers. They love healthy greens and am interested in trying it again.

6. ZakFriedman

ZakFriedman New Egg

Nov 5, 2015
    Davis, CA
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. And Sunflour, to grow wheatgrass for them I just put the wheat berries in a pot of garden soil and water it for a few days. Then I either tilt the pot against their coop or pick some leaves and hand feed them. If you leave the base the leaves will grow back in a few days. Some of your less aggressive chickens might not get any.

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks so much, gotta get some wheat seeds going.

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    Hi Zak, [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here!

10. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by