Finally got eggs but are they any good?

dragonmorgan

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 25, 2012
South Alabama
I am not sure if this has been answered yet, although I am sure it is a common question. My chickens are about 9 month old and up until today, have not been laying any eggs. I figured it was the cold weather we were having and all. I pretty much gave up on looking for eggs at least until the weather warmed up but I would still glance into the pen when I fed them. Anyway so we went out to feed them this afternoon and I asked my girls check the pen and see if they saw any eggs. I was shocked when one yelled that they did see some eggs. There in the back corners were beautiful brown eggs. One corner had 2 and the other had 1. I have 12 hens and 2 roos and I noticed the roosters were jumping on one of my barred rocks the other day so I am assuming they are her eggs.

So what I am wondering is how good these eggs are. I haven't checked for eggs in at least a 4 days and it has been raining alot yesterday and this morning. The eggs were covered in mud and poop (I don't have any laying boxes yet). I've washed them off and stuck them in the fridge. Are they good to eat even though they have been outside and been wet and dirty?

Back
Top Bottom