Finally got some ducks!!!

lovinlife

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Deep in the heart of Texas
I have been wishing for ducks for a year or so. A friend has to move and gave me all their fowl including chickens, ducks and a peafowl.

These are the ducks. I brought the kiddie pool that was in their pen, cleaned it out (it was NASTY, full of poop and stinky), and filled it with clean water. They had it dirty in no time. They splashed and played and dunked in the water for at least 30 minutes. I don't know how long it'd been since they were able to stick their head under water, but they sure enjoyed themselves today. It was fun to watch them.
smile.png

We have a very large pond that I could turn them loose on with my parents' two ducks, but I'm worried that they won't make it. My parents have lost two of their ducks in the last month and we're not sure if it's due to racoons or turtles. We have both. No feathers were found on the banks of the pond. So, for now I'm keeping the three ducks in a pen with the chickens they were raised with. They're happier than they were before.

What can you tell me about these ducks?
IMG_1419.jpg

First it looks like you have a Cayuga, Buff, and maybe a Blue Swedish mix. If I could see the black ducks tale I could probably tell you if they are girls and boys. I would keep them in the pen, just for safety. Do you have a coop or house that they stay in during the night? That would be a good thing. They are very pretty!! Good for you for getting ducks.

I live in central Texas and my chickens have done quite well in open runs with a tarp over one end. It's hot hot hot here now and they enjoy the breezes under the shaded runs.

I do have a covered area for them to go under at night. It's basically the top half of a dog house set up on two cinder blocks. I'll post a pic. They are in a 10'x10' chain link dog kennel that is covered with chicken wire and has shade cloth over half and a tarp over the other half. It is secure and no predators can get to them.

I didn't see a drake feather on any of them. According to my friend, the buff one has hatched eggs before.

Here are some more pics:
IMG_1418.jpg

Here you can see the dog house.
IMG_1430.jpg

I agree with the other person on the breeds, I think the cayuga may be a male, i have had males that lost or had their drake feather pulled out so the cayuga may be a male, still say you LUCKED OUT! Lucky duck!

Yay! Lucky me!!!
big_smile.png

My friend thinks the buff is the only girl. I'm not so sure. I'll wait a while to see if any of them grow a drake feather.

CluckyJay is right, free poultry is the BEST!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom